Windows 7 "Play to" from Media Player into Windows 8 / 8.1

DrBen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 "Play to" from Media Player into Windows 8 / 8.1

Post by DrBen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:36 am

Main Questions:
1. Can you use the "play to" from Windows Media Player on a Windows 7 machine (source) to a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Machine (destination)?
2. Can you play a recorded TV show on a windows 8 or 8.1 machine from a windows 7 media centre (UK recorded TV e.g. BBC or ITV program without copy protection)?

I can successfully use the play to feature by either right-click directly on a file in explorer or using Windows Media Player and send to other windows 7 machines. This worked very well for music and recorded TV (which was my main aim). To be honest instead of sending the media I could also just open it from the destination as well. I have set up the Windows 7 Media Centre to "stream media" and setup the homegroup and libraries in what I expect is a standard way. It all works fine... but ... my plan is to buy a second machine which is likely to be Windows 8 or 8.1 hence the questions. My two Windows 7 machines work very well and I am aware of various issues with Media Centre on Win 8 (charged extra, auto-start difficult, lack of DVD support etc.)

Thanks for any info. Ben.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:06 pm

I don't know about play to...But a win 8.1 machine with WMC can access and play all the files off the Win7 WMC without any issues (at least here in USA)...Seems you already are aware that the DRM stuff is machine specific, so I won't pund that one into the ground...

i.e. you should be fine with a win 8.1 machine...

DrBen

Post by DrBen » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:00 pm

That's great. Just wanted to hear that there were no really obvious issues between the two. Was considering moving away from Win Media Centre altogether and buying separates, but have made the decision to stick with it, hence needed to know my upgrade path for next few years - I know this forum is going to be a big help with this! Thanks again.