OTA + NBC = Copy Protection?

jusbo20

HTPC Specs: Show details

OTA + NBC = Copy Protection?

Post by jusbo20 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:46 am

Hello all! So this has been happening for a week now and I have had the chance to test it out.
My Equipment: Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner ATSC/QAM capable, hooked to antenna in the attic. WMC7 last updated many months ago.
My Situation: Here in charlotte,NC NBC (channel 36.1) will play live TV fine, but when you hit the record button and starts recording I get the whole screen message that there is no signal on this station.....you hit stop recording and the channel comes back on fine.

How is this possible with OTA signals? All other stations record and play fine, just not NBC. I haven't changed anything and rebooted a few times but I can't seem to fix this issue. Has anyone encountered this? Have you found a solution/work around?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:52 am

Where does copy protection come into any of this?

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:34 am

Question doesn't WMC go top to bottom for live TV and then bottom to top for recordings?

Perhaps the second tuner is dying. Have you looked with 411 info to see that the stream stays with the same tuner once you start recording.

jusbo20

Post by jusbo20 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Both tuners are OK I can record two other stations and they don't have this issue. Perhaps it's not "copy" protection but a no recording flag.

poit57

Post by poit57 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:20 pm

Even if both tuners work on other channels, is it possible that the second tuner has the wrong channel mapped to NBC?

What happens if you set one OTA channel to record and then try to record NBC with the remaining tuner?

Mountainbreeze

Post by Mountainbreeze » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:32 pm

This sounds a little like the problem that can occur when WMC does a channel scan and finds the wrong station. Over at Silicondust they describe a fix as follows. Even though you don't have an HDHomerun and QuickTV this MAY be the problem. Check it out.

Situation: when using an HDHomeRun Dual/Plus connected to an antenna to receive over the air broadcasts in the US, all channels play in QuickTV, and most play in WMC, but a couple give a no signal error. This may also appear as channels that work in Live TV mode but fail when recording, or vice versa. Note: this section only applies to broadcast TV, not cable.

Stations that are known to have had this issue in the past (others may also be affected):
◾WLS and WBBM Chicago
◾WESH Orlando
◾KGO/KTVU San Francisco
◾KIRO/KCPQ Seattle
◾WOIO Cleveland
◾KOPB Portland
◾Every major Salt Lake City station (KUTV/KTVX/KSL/KUED/KUEN/KBYU/KSTU/KUPX/KJZZ/KUCW)
◾WTAE Pittsburgh
◾WMVS Milwaukee
◾KVOA/KGUN/KOLD Tucson

In short, this issue occurs because these stations are/were transmitting on more than one channel in your region, either because of a channel change, or because of translator stations that are used to serve nearby towns that can’t receive the primary transmission due to terrain. WMC isn’t smart enough to know which one(s) you can receive, so it adds both, then guesses which one to use. If it guesses wrong, the channel will not work.

To correct the situation, go into Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels > affected channel > Edit Sources. Open HDHomeRun Setup alongside this. In WMC, you’ll see all the different sources you have for each channel. If you mouse over the different sources, it will show you at the bottom the channel number it is on. Disregarding the parts after the . and -, compare this to the channel listed in the Tune column for that channel in HDHomeRun Setup, and uncheck the ones that don’t match. For example, for KTVUDT, there will be entries in WMC that say 44.1 and 48.1. For most people, HDHomeRun Setup will list 44-3 for that channel. This means that 44.1 will be left enabled, and 48.1 needs to be disabled. Repeat for any other affected channels.

jusbo20

Post by jusbo20 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:53 pm

So in doing the steps listed above the channels for all 4 tuners (not sure why I have 4 since currently I only have 2) show channels 22.1...none of them show 36.1. I select show preview and 36.1 shows up live. weird. In the settings for 36.1 it has channel the correct channel in the 2 boxes 36*1 which is correct.

jusbo20

Post by jusbo20 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Ok, despite the channel numbers being weird I showed the previews on the tunes that actually worked, then removed the ones that didn't work. I tested this out after saving the settings and I can record 36.1 (NBC in Charlotte, NC) without issues. Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge!

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:41 am

WESH 2.1 Orlando went down on me (again) on April 6, 2015. The usual fixes of editing sources didn't work ... so I am still down today. I have a Windows 7 and a Windows Vista machine and both went down with respect to WESH 2.1. It transmission channel is 11 but the guide listing pushes out 24 ... any solutions would be appreciated.

jusbo20

Post by jusbo20 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Both machines won't show? Are they sharing a tuner card or networked tuning device? Is this over the air broadcasting? Can your TV scan and pick up the channel?

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:41 pm

When a station is CopyOnce Protected the resulting .wtv file will have a copyright tab when you right click it and select properties. files that are not copy protected will not have that tab.