Trouble with Showtime (using HDHomerun Prime)

nathagt

HTPC Specs: Show details

Trouble with Showtime (using HDHomerun Prime)

Post by nathagt » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:29 pm

I've scoured the internet for a couple of hours but have not found a good answer so I'm hoping somewhere here can help. I ordered Showtime this morning from my cable provider. After a few minutes, I was able to tune in Showtime East (831 where I am) just fine. However, when I try to tune the other two Showtime channels (832,834) directly from the guide I only get audio with a black screen. If I am already watching a channel that works and then try to tune directly to 832 or 834 I get the following error instead of the black screen with audio:

"The video playback device does not support playback of protected content."

So here's what I've already tried in order:
  • - Rebooted the computer
    - Rebooted the HDHomerun Prime & the computer
    - Tried minimizing and maximizing WMC while tuned to the channels
    - Re-ran WMC TV Setup
    - Re-ran HDHomerun Setup
    - Downloaded Cyberlink Blu Ray Advisor and ran it. My system passed the HDCP test. (I originally thought this was the issue but then it passed plus Showtime East is working)
    - Downloaded the latest video driver from Intel (for Intel HD 2000) & rebooted
    - Called my cable provider to make sure the other two channels were actually part of the subscription. They are. I am supposed to get them.
    - Opened a ticket with Silicondust Support. I'll post back what I hear from them.
At my wit's end here. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with SP1. I don't have a video card, I use Intel i5 with HDMI out of motherboard. My HDHomeRun Prime is on version 20140604. I do not have a SDV tuning adapter but I don't see how that would affect this. I don't have TeamViewer or any screen capture software installed. I uninstalled Chrome remote desktop just in case. I have a second PC with a similar setup and I have the exact same issue there. Any ideas?

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Did you install playready?

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Yes, and all my premium channels are all working fine except 2 of the 3 added today.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:27 am

You didn't mention cable provider but if it is cox, those channels are on the "plus pack" (now contour) and are in h.264... with intel graphics under windows 7 protected h.264 channels will do that... with ivy or later, not the sandy you have, some processors (particularly mobile but I have seen a few desktop ones work) the integrated graphics will work with protected content under windows 8 but not windows 7... installing just about any video card will fix this.

Here in phoenix they moved all the contour channels to SDV when previously they weren't (no need as only cablecard tuners and their contour machines can tune them as they are at higher frequencies than most of their STBs can handle) but with the doubling of internet speeds and preparing for gigabit internet, they needed the option of using more channels for data.

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks for the info. I do have Cox. It's strange to me that Showtime East would not be in h.264 like the other two showtime channels. Do you know if this is the case with many of the premium cable channels? Just wondering if I'd run into similar issues with HBO. Also - how did you come across that information? Is there a way for me to determine what kind of codec a particular channel is using?

Again, thanks for the informed response.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Here is an old thread over at AVS about the issue... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... creen.html SD has also acknowledged the issue in the past but unfortunately those threads are long gone on their forums. Somewhere in that thread I have a link to a video I made demonstrating the problem (though in that case it actually said display driver error rather than a blank screen that it would if I just used the integrated graphics)

Unfortunately the channels you provided are the same for "every" cox market in OK (based on your location shown, when I did a search for cox OK showtime 832... often cox i OKC and Tulsa use different lineups/equipment) so I only checked OKC for contour channels... the following would be considered contour channels and will probably have the issue. To confirm it is the h.264 issue, press 411 info (411 ctrl+d if using keyboard)... make sure to press info or ctrl+d prior to it trying to tune channel 411... then hit the right arrow 8 times to go to the last page and it should state what the video is encoded as... I believe in the blank screen issue it will say unspecified)

699 FOX College Sports HD◊
708 ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater HDנ
710 Outdoor Channel HD◊
772 Hub HD◊
777 DIY Network HD◊
778 Cooking Channel HD◊
803 RetroPlex HD◊
804 IndiePlex HD◊
812 HBO Signature HD◊
813 HBO Family HD◊
815 HBO Zone HD◊
816 HBO West HD◊
817 HBO2 West HD◊
821 MoreMAX HD◊
823 ThrillerMax HD◊
824 Cinemax West HD◊
825 ActionMAX East HD◊
826 5 StarMAX HD◊
832 SHOWTIME West HD◊
834 Showtime Extreme HD◊
839 TMC West HD◊
843 STARZ In Black HD◊
844 STARZ Kids & Family HD◊
846 STARZ Comedy HD◊
850 MC PLAY HD◊
1321 MLB Network Strike Zone HD◊
1324 Big Ten Network 2 HD◊
1325 Big Ten Network HD◊
1327 Pac-12 Network HD◊
1336 Universal Sports Network HD◊
1354 World Fishing Network HD◊
1355 Outside Television HD◊

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks again - just to confirm, a newer Ivy bridge processor with integrated graphics would also correct the issue on Windows 7?

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:57 pm

With windows 7 I have not got any protected h.264 graphics to work with intel integrated graphics since sandy (I do have older systems that work)... With windows 8 often ivy or later works. If your system allows you to add any graphics card (even a $20 one) it will usually work with those channels but may occasionally need updated, or in some cases, reverted drivers.

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Ah that's different. I had always avoided graphics cards because of the extra expense, heat, and troubleshooting. I guess I'll have to bit the bullet if I decide I need to watch the other channels. Do you think there's any chance Cox will start encoding more channels like this?

I just heard back from Silicondust support too. They said what you said - its a known issue with Intel drivers and it only affects Cox customers because they're the only ones using this type of encoding (that they know of). They also said no one has been able to get a straight answer out of Intel as to why it's never been fixed.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:54 pm

nathagt wrote:I just heard back from Silicondust support too. They said what you said - its a known issue with Intel drivers and it only affects Cox customers...
Not entirely. Some Starz channels on Brighthouse in SE Michigan produce the same error/audio but no video on my i3/Win7 system. Have been debating whether or not to get a card in my machine.