Disable WMC Extender Record Feature?

Venomous

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disable WMC Extender Record Feature?

Post by Venomous » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi All,

Is there a way to disable the Record TV Function on an individual WMC Extender?

I have an issue with my girlfriend's young son, He presses the record button twice ( Series Record ) for every show he watches. No matter how many times we have told him not to. I spend way to much time each day removing all the programs he adds to be recorded....

I need to be able to disable the extender in his room from being able to use the recording feature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Disable the button on the remote?

Venomous

Post by Venomous » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:34 pm

aeblank wrote:Disable the button on the remote?
Sorry forgot to mention it is an XBOX 360 we are using as an extender
Disabling the button is not really an option since He uses the XBOX 360 controller for games as well as WMC.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Venomous wrote:
aeblank wrote:Disable the button on the remote?
Sorry forgot to mention it is an XBOX 360 we are using as an extender
Disabling the button is not really an option since He uses the XBOX 360 controller for games as well as WMC.
Assuming there is no way to do it (I don't think there is), some other solutions are:

- Remove the Xbox from the child's room, at least until he complies with your instructions
- Unpair the extender and replace with a new extender (Ceton Echo for example) and control with a universal remote whose record button has been disabled
- [Parenting hat on] Remove the Xbox from the child's room forever, unpair the extender and place it in the family room or some other room. This will help to limit the time the child spends playing games and watching TV, allow for more supervision and personal interaction which is much healthier for young children. My kids never had TV or video games in their rooms growing up and turned out smart, happy and well adjusted.[/Parenting hat on]

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:13 pm

yeah, this is a parenting issue that needs to be solved with parenting methods--not tech support methods.

Besides which, understand that an extender quite literally extends the whole Media Center experience from the central Media Center box to a remote TV. It is not any different than being AT the local Media Center computer and controlling that. So, no. There's nothing in the extender setup that says "treat me as something fundamentally different than the central Media Center computer".

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:16 am

It's too bad that parental controls on the 360 doesn't do anything like that. Something you could try is modifying the permissions of that MCX user to read only user but who knows

Venomous

Post by Venomous » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:30 am

It is not a parenting problem. Without going into to much detail, the child's problems stem from medical conditions that are only somewhat corrected through medication.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:17 pm

I have been looking for that feature for 2 years. You only have 3 choices.
1) continue cleaning up the mess.
2) teach the girlfriend to clean the mess.
3) take away the tv.

There was an article over at the old TGB. It explained a lot of the things you can control. As I recall limiting recording rights was not one of the options. The article is unavailable anymore.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 200#p37200

I thought jeepguy had the best compromise: "change the settings for their series to keep x episodes"
Last edited by Crash2009 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:45 pm

If it's a medical problem, then simply cleaning up the mess is a no-brainer.

Parenting is hard. But if this is as hard as it gets...

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Maybe just limit the use of the Xbox controller, and give him a programmed remote (JP1) where the record button is disabled...i.e. controller for games, and tv remote for tv ??