Ehshell.exe

dellybelly

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ehshell.exe

Post by dellybelly » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:38 pm

I haven't seen many "recent" fixes for this when it's eating up CPU cycles. My system runs fine but I do see in taskman that very often my CPU's getting saturated. I was getting stuttering on my livetv and recorded so got an SSD for recorded tv/livetv buffer which fixed that issue; but the initial cause is still there from the insane cpu usage from eshell.

Tried the following:

Resetting everything
Disabled Imedian (sucks anyway)
Cleaning up WMC DB
Updating drivers
Applying hotfixes
Removed addins
All my event logs are clean as far as errors
Talked to Ceton also and cleaned up all of the "recommended" things on my system such as disabling network sharing and resetting the ceton card

None seem to have really done much; my system is below; since everything is pretty much working it's kind of a minor issue; but the tinkerer in me is very annoyed that it's doing it.

AMD A6 6420K (Using onboard graphics) Have not tried to use my old 5770 card but I suppose is an option if I get to that point...my box is pretty small for that card though.
6gigs memory
256 GBCrucial SSD for livetv/recorded
1TB normal 7200rpm HD
Windows 7 64
Ceton PCIE 6 Tuner card

Any thoughts? I would consider going back to Win8 but then my Echo is a paper weight and I (read wife) doesn't want the Xbox in the bedroom and I kinda don't either.

ogiewon

Post by ogiewon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:19 pm

Have you tried temporarily moving all of your Recorded TV shows to a different folder so that Media Center can no longer "see" them? If you have a corrupted Recorded TV file, you could end up with some strange issues. You may also want to hide your "Music", "Videos", "Movies", and "Pictures" one at a time to see if any of those libraries are to blame.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:25 am

Along with your library causing issues, what you are experiencing can be caused by a failing hard drive, storage dirvers http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/AMD_Bol ... Driver.zip or even ram settings.

dellybelly

Post by dellybelly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks for the tips; will give those a try. I'm almost positive t the drives are not at issue as one SSD is a week old and the other is only 3 months; all clear smart tests and don't have any faults; but ill def keep an eye out.

Ill check out those drivers tonight and see if they help. Then memory test is next on the list; with how new this machine is i'd be surprised if it was a hardware issue; it's kinda funny that I ran WMC for almost 4 years on a much lower speced machine with no issues but decided I wanted some energy savings.....I definitely fail the "if it ain't broke" test.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Are your AMD graphics drivers up to date? I'm running much older Radeon 4250 integrated on the motherboard, and when I first loaded windows (4-5 years ago) the default windows drivers would crash, making the TV stutter. I downloaded drivers from AMD directly, and it has been working since.

dellybelly

Post by dellybelly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:37 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Are your AMD graphics drivers up to date? I'm running much older Radeon 4250 integrated on the motherboard, and when I first loaded windows (4-5 years ago) the default windows drivers would crash, making the TV stutter. I downloaded drivers from AMD directly, and it has been working since.
Yep; that was my initial goto. Got the latest I could find. I wasn't able to try out the drivers that cwinfield posted yet as I had too many recordings yesterday; but will definitely get those checked out too.

I'd like to see when exactly it's maxing out the CPU; any easy way to do that without closing or minimizing WMC?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Those drivers I posted might be just for F6 os install but you can try to update them in your device manager. There is a chipset driver dated 10/2/14 you might want to try as well http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/AMD_Chi ... _w7_w8.zip

dellybelly

Post by dellybelly » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Looks like Ive managed to get this under control by fiddling with my recorded tv directory. I'm not sure exactly what the fix was, but the last things I did was fix comskip pointing to the old directory before the SSD and cleared out the recorded tv directory and re populated it. Appreciate all the help; will happily return to tinkering.