Streaming to remote PC

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
Otto963

HTPC Specs: Show details

Streaming to remote PC

Post by Otto963 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:00 pm

We cut the cord at home and are just going with antenna and using media center as a dvr, but we have Charter at our condo. I bought a Prime tuner so we can record shows at our condo and then transfer them back to our house 3 hours away. My question is is that I like watching sports but can I stream those events from my remote computer at our condo back to my house without any issues or do I need to go different route like getting a sling box?

Thanks in advance.

DanH

Post by DanH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Slingbox is going to be your best bet. It is a hardware solution which can take the output from the PC and stream it well over the internet.

There are software programs with the capability. One is called Orb, however it has never been reliable for me.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

Otto963

Post by Otto963 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Orb seems like it is no longer available. What about InstaTV app?

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:24 pm

look over int he silicon dust forums as well...Someone there mentioned that Madsonic (fork of SubSonic) can transcode and stream direct from the HDHR primes...There are also various RemotePotato type solutions to stream...

While dedicated HW may be the most trouble free, if you already have a medium-ly powerful HTPC / WMC system, it should be enough to transcode one stream back to the house...

Chillout

Post by Chillout » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:53 am

i use mediabrowser.tv to stream live tv and local media over the internet.

It works with the hd homerun prime using ServerWMC plug in. It allows me to watch my cable TV I pay for at my house remotely at my cottage without having to pay for cable TV twice. It also works with a chrome box, mobile phones and generally everything that has a web browser. I was at a wedding and was able to watch my college football team beat Notre Dame on my phone by streaming live NBC from the prime tuner.

It will transcode the video so it can adjust the quality based on the available bandwidth. You have to run this on a server with port forwarding to the server the software is running on. But my htpc is on 24/7 so thats not a problem for me. Transcoding on the fly can use a lot of CPU so it also helps to have a powerful computer especially if its doing multiple streams.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Chillout wrote:i use mediabrowser.tv to stream live tv and local media over the internet.
Thanks Chillout,

Looks like Chillout is absolutely correct, with one addition, Ceton's Infini4 Pcie works as well. I have been spreading the love around the LAN with XBMC since last spring. MB3 has just jumped ahead. (in my books) They make it pretty easy to share the love on the WAN.

Crash2009

edit: Streaming the same channel to LAN and WAN, at the same time, gives my quad core Phenom a good workout.
Attachments
HTTPStream003.jpg
HTTPStream002.jpg