From WMC to ?

Arative

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Arative » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm hopeful that android TV will be a replacement for wmc. I'd love to be able to put it on the same machine I have my wmc on but I'm not sure that will be possible.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Arative wrote:I'm hopeful that android TV will be a replacement for WMC. I'd love to be able to put it on the same machine I have my WMC on but I'm not sure that will be possible.
Well, you can install the Android emulator (which has the Android TV interface in it - the jist of it is that Android TV is just a custom TV interface over regular Android); but it will not be the same as having a dedicated/actual Android TV device. You might run into control/usability/app compatibility issues if you try to use the emulator as an actual device.

Arative

Post by Arative » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Ed  wrote:
Arative wrote:I'm hopeful that android TV will be a replacement for WMC. I'd love to be able to put it on the same machine I have my WMC on but I'm not sure that will be possible.
Well, you can install the Android emulator (which has the Android TV interface in it - the jist of it is that Android TV is just a custom TV interface over regular Android); but it will not be the same as having a dedicated/actual Android TV device. You might run into control/usability/app compatibility issues if you try to use the emulator as an actual device.
I was thinking more along the lines of putting android as the os of the system and not an emulator but I'm sure there will be a whole mess of issues with drivers. I'd really like to build my own dedicated android TV devices.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah - that isn't really going to be an option. At least for the time being (you never know what the Android modding community will come up with; but I wouldn't hold my breath).

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Console OS may make it a possibility to put it on a Windows computer down the line. You can read up on it here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mm ... for-the-pc

It's in it's infancy and will be hardware specific, but eventually it will have the ability to have insta switch (switch between Windows and Android in a matter of seconds), but initially it will be dual boot. It was something I donated to during it's campaign and the first developer release is expected in October. They have a lot of big goals and ideas, but it's a ways off. Just maybe something to keep an eye on as it develops. No telling how the usability of it will be or if it will actually suceed, but it's certainly a novel idea.

Arative

Post by Arative » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Ed  wrote:Yeah - that isn't really going to be an option. At least for the time being (you never know what the Android modding community will come up with; but I wouldn't hold my breath).
I was pretty sure I'd have to wait for someone to create it.
I'll be happy bring able to use the ceton tuners I have with android TV and DVR functionality.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Arative wrote:
Ed  wrote:Yeah - that isn't really going to be an option. At least for the time being (you never know what the Android modding community will come up with; but I wouldn't hold my breath).
I was pretty sure I'd have to wait for someone to create it.
I'll be happy bring able to use the ceton tuners I have with android TV and DVR functionality.
Yeah that's gonna require even more than just getting Android TV booting/working on your own hardware. You're gonna have to hope/wait for infiniTV compatibility with Android TV as well. Only SiliconDust tuners work with Android TV ATM. So, while the former might happen, the latter might not. Or, the latter might, and the former not. Who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Yep, it's a big wait and see for now. I wouldn't count on Android tv being able to replace WMC anytime soon, but the potential could be there.

Dgr_874

Post by Dgr_874 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:54 am

Ed  wrote:
STC wrote:Your comments are interesting. I must add that a WMC HTPC assigned ONLY the task of recording and playing back TV works well and without issue.

Oops aside from guide data right now lol
And aside from the 29/59 bug, or when people resume from sleep get a black screen, or no sound. I'm talking all possibilities of those 'little' things that come along with having a PC hooked up to the screen. I remedied all that (and any other possibilities in the future) by making my HTPC headless and having only Xboxes at the TVs. No other HTPC setup (Sage aside, but Sage is dead anyway) supports a CE extender model, so that I could set it up like I have it again. I would need computers at the TVs if I went with HTPC software. When WMC goes away, I'm not going 'backwards' in that regard :P
adam1991 wrote:
Ed  wrote:There is also Tivo - but I have yet to do the math on what it would cost vs me just bucking up for a CableCo DVR - or what the cost would be if I went OTA only with it. I'm not hopeful of that (Tivo) though.

Last resort is just buck up for a Cable DVR.

The math is very easy to do, and in my case it comes up about the same as when I did similar math for WMC almost 4 years ago: it's a 3 year ROI to buy Tivo and a couple Roamios, full price, no more monthly payments ever.

And that's perfectly acceptable to me, but only if WMC completely goes away. I like skipping commercials in WMC and won't change unless I have to.
It's good to hear it's not that much. Still gotta see what it offers me vs Android TV when (not if) it becomes time to switch. Especially seeing as it's being speculated Android TV will only be around $100 per device, no subscriptions, and will work with the tuners I have already.
Yup same here, only Xboxes attached to the TV's. Works much better than when I had the PC connected directly to the TV.

jfpro

Post by jfpro » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:23 am

Right now my current plan is TiVo integrated into my XBox One and using the native Plex app when it comes out.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:57 am

This is what Google is aiming at with Android TV: https://gigaom.com/2014/09/24/frances-f ... t-top-box/

What cable user wouldn't want a better interface with a lot more capabilities? That's probably half the reason we don't want to use their boxes, they are from the stone ages. But you put a cable box with Android TV in peoples houses? Hmm, interesting. They don't mention DVR capabilites at all here, but you have to assume a Telecom company will provide this someway. Now, lets go back to the whole cablecard legislation. Most of that states that cablecard is ancient technology and cable companies don't want it, BUT, there needs to be an alternative retail device for users. This could be the platform/device. We shall see.