Channels disappear during scan

mschlott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channels disappear during scan

Post by mschlott » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:21 pm

I am on TWC in Plano, TX. A week or so ago I noticed some channels had gone missing. I'm used to this because Time Warner moves channels around periodically. The analog channels all seemed fine, it was just the digital channels that were missing. I re-scanned for channels and it only found 1 channel. I scanned again and it found 3 after 10% done, and I left it alone and came back. When it was done scanning it said it only found 1 channel. The next time I watched the scan and I see that it finds channels, then as it finds more, some of the old ones drop off the found channel list.

This is what I tried.
Re-scan for more channels
Configure TV signal - This gave me the error of unable to download tv data until I found the other thread about changing DNS servers to 8.8.8.8
Re-install windows - this was a last ditch effort because I did find that I had some dll problems. After resinstalling, the channel scan problem is still there.

I'm going to look for a 3rd party app to use just to verify that it is not a tuner issue. The tuners are AverTV Hybrid Volar Max.

Any ideas?

mschlott

Post by mschlott » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:31 pm

I don't think this is new. I think once a year or so I do this same thing and end up getting a list of channels from Silicon dust web site and add them all back manually. There is no longer a list of QAM channels for Cable listed on their site for my area. Is there another place I can get a recent Channel list? I scanned channels using nextpvr and found they are all still there, but I have to weed out the bad channels and find out what network goes with each channel.

TV_MCE

Post by TV_MCE » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:38 pm

For a channel list in your area, try: http://www.titantv.com/

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:04 pm

When my cable provider first started to produce results in the transition to full digital I noticed the same happening.
At the same time a scan of channels on a digital tuner built into a TV set would produce what is there for signal and when manually entered in Media Center about 50% would work.
But if your provider is in transition they probably won't last long. They move a lot when that's the case, I guess.
Our cable provider is small by comparison, so your transition probably won't take the year mine did, if in fact that is what's happening.
Now we will have no more analog and extremely limited QAM, but the quality of the digital with the cablecard is awesome.