Loud commercials on extenders

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
kakashisensei

HTPC Specs: Show details

Loud commercials on extenders

Post by kakashisensei » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:30 am

I'm using a DMA2100 and d-link DSM-750, and I noticed that many commercials are nearly double the volume of the show. Some commercials seem to be the same volume as the show. Is there a way it can automatically equalize the volume across all commercials and the show. I saw that on a PC, you can use windows sound control to equalize volume, but would this pass on to the extenders? Anyone else experience this issue and what was your solution?

Thx.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:27 am

You imply that this is an extender issue.

What we don't know is, does this happen when you play the same shows on the WMC PC itself?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:59 pm

You could try turning on auto volume under tv signal > audio, however this disables dolby. Beyond that I would look into loudness equalization under your sound settings.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:02 pm

WMC has a problem where when the audio is changed to 2.0, it plays at twice the volume. It could be that it affects extenders too.

This is most noticeable on Fox. It appears that most locally originated programming on Fox such as commercials and news is done in 2.0 audio, while most network programming and commercials are in 6.1 audio. So when a string of commercials comes on, the volume jumps up and down depending on whether they are network or locally originated. Local news programs are also at twice the volume but its not so annoying because all you have to do is turn the volume down.

Sub-channels do the same thing. Stations that transmit subchannels often use 2.0 audio for those subchannels so when tuning between the main channel and a subchannel the audio will often double in volume. Again, that's not too annoying because its constant. You just turn down the volume.

You can verify this is the problem by bringing up the "411 info" debug screen and right arrowing to the audio screen. When a loud commercial comes on, you should see the audio type change to 2.0.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:52 pm

dmagerl wrote:WMC has a problem where when the audio is changed to 2.0, it plays at twice the volume. It could be that it affects extenders too.

This is most noticeable on Fox. It appears that most locally originated programming on Fox such as commercials and news is done in 2.0 audio, while most network programming and commercials are in 6.1 audio. So when a string of commercials comes on, the volume jumps up and down depending on whether they are network or locally originated. Local news programs are also at twice the volume but its not so annoying because all you have to do is turn the volume down.

Sub-channels do the same thing. Stations that transmit subchannels often use 2.0 audio for those subchannels so when tuning between the main channel and a subchannel the audio will often double in volume. Again, that's not too annoying because its constant. You just turn down the volume.

You can verify this is the problem by bringing up the "411 info" debug screen and right arrowing to the audio screen. When a loud commercial comes on, you should see the audio type change to 2.0.

If you receive the same channels through cable as OTA, you will notice that OTA commercials volume is not affected, but it is affected on locally injected commercial on cable, which leads me to believe the issue is with your local cable TV franchise not complying with the FCC requirements that commercials are not to be any louder than regular programming.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Pro Logic (2.0) material has always been louder for me through my AVR. I think it has a lot to do with the way it's processed.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123