Constantly rebooting Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mmurley

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mmurley » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:02 pm

I'd like to thank everyone for their input.

Ceton thinks the issue is that the HTPC had Mcaffe on it (Event ID: 109).

"Warning 109 Session Enforcement: An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center with file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\platform\McUICnt.exe', could not retrieve the window title."

I uninstalled that at went with their suggestion of Microsoft Security Essentials, but I'd boxed up the Echo and won't mess with it until Friday night - when I will replace my router with a gigabyte router and first switch with a gig switch.

The Echo works marvelously during it's 2 minutes or so of uptime before it reboots. I believe the issue is either what Ceton thinks (something on the HTPC that causes the Echo to reboot itself) or the Echo itself is faulty.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:42 pm

An update, after wrestling with my inoperable tuning adapter and getting some awesome help from TWC's CableCARD desk (sending me a new one), I installed the Echo again (after deleting Mcafee on the HTPC). It worked, but then the CableCARD kept going on and off. Finally got the CableCARD stable and WMC working on the HTPC and suddenly no TV on the Echo... Many imaginative curses were said.

Unplugged the Echo and plugged it back it - the TV signal miraculously appeared and we're at 50+ minutes of uptime.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14 pm

The Echo is also notoriously fickle about power. Lots of rebooting problems reported at one point that seemed to be caused by using either a different power adapter, or a different USB power cable. If you're using the factory adapter and cable... :shrug:

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned (I skimmed the thread but didn't see it) on TWC almost all of the channels will be encrypted and CCI "Copy Once" which means they won't work on anything outside of WMC (that means XBMC and any android boxes won't work on the vast majority of channels you have available.

And finally, the Echo does seem to be particularly sensitive to even the slightest network problem. While the suggestions of replacing cables, moving switches, updating NIC drivers, changing routers, etc seem kinda crazy, they have solved some problems for many people.

It may be the most fragile piece of CE gear ever released to the public.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:27 am

mmurley wrote:An update, after wrestling with my inoperable tuning adapter and getting some awesome help from TWC's CableCARD desk (sending me a new one), I installed the Echo again (after deleting Mcafee on the HTPC). It worked, but then the CableCARD kept going on and off. Finally got the CableCARD stable and WMC working on the HTPC and suddenly no TV on the Echo... Many imaginative curses were said.

Unplugged the Echo and plugged it back it - the TV signal miraculously appeared and we're at 50+ minutes of uptime.
Glad you got it going.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:32 pm

To update everyone on my drama!

First I did what Ceton support suggested and uninstalled Mcafee internet security on the HTPC (preloaded, apparently it's an known issue that it causes these restarts).

Then I replaced my router with a GIG port router (Netgear N600 - this caused my fun with myDAP 2553 access point) and my 'fast ethernet' main switch with a D-Link 16 port GIG switch.

I also set up my LAN with reserved IP addresses as suggested.

I also performed serious rocket surgery on the HTPC (small form factor Dell i3647 for now) and stuffed a 2TB second HD in it (which WMC records TV to). I'm upping it to 16Mb RAM next week.

I had intermittent Ech connection problems yesterday until all was done.

Left the Echo on last night (turned the TV off) and this AM it said the TV signal was 'too weak' and then couldn't connect. Checked the HTPC and it was on and up, so I turned off the Echo and turned it back on (via Harmony 650) and it worked.

Has anyone developed a script / batchfile / whatever that restarts their HTPC and enters their password (especially after update restarts?). I now that you can do a scheduled shutdown that will bring a PC back to the login screen.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:48 pm

mmurley wrote: (especially after update restarts?)
Update Restarts reminds me of my adventures with 19 BSOD's that I didn't even know I had. Have a quick peek at Reliability Monitor. Open the Run Command and type perfmon /rel

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:17 pm

mmurley wrote:To update everyone on my drama! ...

Left the Echo on last night (turned the TV off) and this AM it said the TV signal was 'too weak' and then couldn't connect. Checked the HTPC and it was on and up, so I turned off the Echo and turned it back on (via Harmony 650) and it worked.

Has anyone developed a script / batchfile / whatever that restarts their HTPC and enters their password (especially after update restarts?). I now that you can do a scheduled shutdown that will bring a PC back to the login screen.
Glad to hear you are up and running. I think it has become common practice for most here to shut down their Echos when not in use. There have been complaints about random errors ranging from loss of tuners to HDCP no video failure on restart, to problems reconnecting to the HTPC. I recommend that you reboot the echo when you want to watch. Yes it does take a minute to reboot but it's worth it.

Why do you need to re-logon after the HTPC reboots? The echo should log directly on to it's own account with no interaction from you.

My HTPC is on constantly so I have set up a Scheduled Task that reboots my HTPC every morning at 4am. I think this helps to clean up the garbage and cache files.

Some here will insist that 16g of ram is entirely too much, but what it does is allow you to disable or minimize disk caching, this takes the stress off of the hard drives. And is definitely a good thing if you are running a SSD as your system disk. If you can afford it I recommend that you do it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Jimmersd wrote: Why do you need to re-logon after the HTPC reboots? The echo should log directly on to it's own account with no interaction from you.
I could be wrong, but I thought he was talking about logging into the O/S's user account. i.e. When you first turn on the PC, or come out of hibernation.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
Jimmersd wrote: Why do you need to re-logon after the HTPC reboots? The echo should log directly on to it's own account with no interaction from you.
I could be wrong, but I thought he was talking about logging into the O/S's user account. i.e. When you first turn on the PC, or come out of hibernation.
This. I could remove the password from the user account, but thats not good if you have another user account on the machine (like an admin account).

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:14 pm

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Jimmersd wrote:I think it has become common practice for most here to shut down their Echos when not in use.
Not here. With my new TV, it runs like a champ. I turn the TV off, but not the Echo. It's solid even across restarts of the WMC computer. Only once have I come in to find the Echo "Connecting..." and requiring a reboot.

So in other words, with the Echo the TV experience is more like a regular TV--power it on and there it is, right away, ready to serve you. None of the "please wait while I boot up and connect to something and get myself settled in" that booting an Echo and an XBox both do.

And I *do* turn the power-hungry XBoxen off when not in use.

While infrequent, the XBox update process is a big pain. It generally takes at least 15 minutes. But when do you get notice of these updates? That's right, just as you're sitting down to <gasp!> watch TV.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:36 pm

After reading a bit...

WinKey + R, then type netplwiz in the box, then like your link said.

Thank you.

electronrancher

Post by electronrancher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:43 am

Mine reboot crazily when I have grounding issues. Make sure you have the Echo and TV on the same (preferably 3-prong) power strip, and check the echo AC adapter plugged in the other direction (wide vs skinny slot on AC outlet).