Xbox 360 Media Center video error

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
BobbyG

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 Media Center video error

Post by BobbyG » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:37 pm

I am struggling to get the Xbox 360 media center extender to play tv recordings and Live TV from my Media Center (windows 8.1).

Everything is working fine and playing from the media center (windows 8.1); Xbox 360 is successfully connected to the MCE, I can see and play pictures from Xbox 360 using the Windows Media Center (extender) app, I can play music from Xbox using the Windows Media Center app, and I can see the tv recordigs on Xbox 360, however, as soon as I try to play them, I get the error: Video error: “files needed to display video are not installed". I can’t watch Live TV either (same video error message).

If I use the System Video Player on Xbox 360 instead, I can play the TV recordings from my MCE (windows 8.1). So it seems related specifically to the Windows Media Center extender app on Xbox 360, maybe not having the right privileges or something? The rights on the "Recorderd TV" folder on Windows 8.1 do have it shared with "Everyone", "Administrators" and "Homegroup" amongst others. Not sure if it related to that since Live TV is not working either (although I can see the guide etc..)

Is there anything that I do need to do additionally on the Media Center (windows 8.1) to allow Xbox 360 play/stream the tv recordings?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:49 pm

It was common a while back. I haven't seen this error for a while. Here are some of the answers

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 4549f0d0e9

BobbyG

Post by BobbyG » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks blueiedgod, unfortunately none of these worked. They all seem slightly different although the error is the same. In my case System Video Player plays all content, it is the Windows Media Player that refuses to play the recorded files, although audio files under Music play fine. Any other comments really appreciated.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:57 pm

I didn't see this listed on that link (might have missed it). Anyway on the 360 go to downloads in the store, there is a muli-media optional download (sorry can't remember the exact name). That is what fixed my issues. Sometimes you have to do this more than once. It should get the update automatically, but that only worked once for me, the rest were manual downloads. I have 5 360's off of one HTPC, although only two are active at a time.

EDIT: Question, do the files and video playback work ok on the main HTPC? Live TV should always work without the media download though ...