JP1 remotes.....give it a try!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:52 pm

X10 protocol is built into most JP1 remotes. They can shoot ANY IR protocol, even one of your own invention and other protocols Harmony can't even dream of, like many A/C unit protocols. You can even make existing protocols behave differently. On a JP1 remote you can load a hacked X10 protocol that combines unit code and command into a songle function, i.e., 1-On can be a single command instead of 2.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:28 pm

^ Yes yes,I already have used combined codes. I even tweaked some codes using a Pronto many years back. I believe it's my combined codeset that now exists on Harmonys database for all to use.

Now I use single x10 codes primarily as control toggles to an ISY994i via an IR543. the ISY99i does any Insteon, X10 and HVAC control from those single den commands I send it.
A point I was trying to make is that WAF picked the Harmony One over the Xsight Color (sold it).
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:15 pm

STC wrote:^ Yes yes,I already have used combined codes. I even tweaked some codes using a Pronto many years back. I believe it's my combined codeset that now exists on Harmonys database for all to use.

Now I use single x10 codes primarily as control toggles to an ISY994i via an IR543. the ISY99i does any Insteon, X10 and HVAC control from those single den commands I send it.
A point I was trying to make is that WAF picked the Harmony One over the Xsight Color (sold it).
Hey, I thought it was my codes in the Harmony database! Years ago, I submitted hundreds of X10 combo codes to Logitech for every house and unit code and every command for each (on/off/bright/dim). And I can go you one better. Remember Windows CE? Back then, I wrote my own VB program to bit bang X10 codes to a firecracker plugged into a serial cable plugged into my PocketPC. I wrote similar programs on my PC, made a clickable graphic of my house and everything, all from scratch. Then after suffering through X10 for about 15 years, I finally ripped it all out of my house.

In any case, I see no functional difference between the One and Xsight Touch from a user perspective. Layout is essentially identical, save for an additional row of colored buttons on the Xsight. Activities are on the touchscreen and can have names identical to Harmony. I agree that the Xsight COLOR is one of the worst remotes I've ever used. It's vastly different from the Touch, a big clunky brick that ate batteries.

I like Harmony a lot. But I dislike that you can't edit your activity macros. You can only add commands to the start/end. And on new Harmonys, you can't even insert additional power or input commands. And on the One, your sequence macros are limited to a whopping 5 steps. There's no limit on JP1 remotes. I remember on one of my DirecTV receivers, my subtitle toggle macro had to be 11 steps. That was really hard to do on Harmony. Also I can save all my JP1 config files locally and am not dependent on a website to program. The list goes on and on.

My point is, JP1 remotes are awesome, many of them anyway.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Firecrackers..... yowch! that takes me back ;)

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:25 pm

mdavej wrote:..You can only add commands to the start/end...
The way around that is to create an unclassified macro devoid of devices then add your string (with any devices required) in the sequence you desire. It prevents a lot of unneeded futz as you have control of the whole string from start to finish. The only thing different is you get a generic looking icon for the activity.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:42 am

3rob3 wrote:NS-RC02U-10A 
Thank you.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:06 pm

mdavej wrote:I agree that the Xsight COLOR is one of the worst remotes I've ever used. It's vastly different from the Touch, a big clunky brick that ate batteries.
Asking someone "What is the best remote control?" is rather like asking someone how long is a piece of string. There are many correct answers.

However, I feel obliged to mention that the reason that I am not fond of the Xsight Colour relates to characterstics that it shares with the Xsight Touch, namely:

(1) Many buttons are too small.
(2) Majority of buttons are "low profile", i.e. they are almost flush with the casing, making them difficult to press.
(3) The buttons make a "clicky" sound when pressed (I prefer silent).

The Touch/Colour do have their good points:
(1) The transport controls are excellent. Although they are flush with the surface, they are enormous in size (compared to the other buttons), making the transport buttons very easy to press. And the center button (of a 3x3 grid) is contoured, so that you can easily distinguish it from the other 8 transport buttons.

If anyone is thinking about buying a Touch (or even a Colour), I would recommend trying out a friend's sample first, to make sure that you will like the way that the Touch feels and operates.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK