thumperyz69

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomerun degraded state???

Post by thumperyz69 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:58 pm

Setup:

•Media Center on Windows 7 machine
•Avermedia Tuner card in PC
•SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US
•Antenna in attic (one straight feed to the PC/Homerun)

Has anybody ever seen a HDHomerun (HR) receive a degraded signal??? Meaning …I am only receiving 2 channels when using my Homerun. I can run the “check signal” and all my *expected* channels are in red/orange status except for my 2 strongest. ***I can plug into the Avermedia TV tuner card and rerun WMC setup and I get like 12 channels.*** So the HR does work just in a crippled state. I have upgraded to the latest firmware on the HR with the same result. I would rather use the HR if possible but I am perplexed at its current condition. (The AVermedia card has an irritating bug where if I lose power the card is "dead" until I pull the card reboot into Windows power down and put the card back in and come up and all is good until I lose power again).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:07 pm

It's not a matter of the HDHomeRun being sent/receiving a degraded signal over the AverMedia; it's that the signal is low/crappy to begin with. The AverMedia is just better at deciphering/decrypting/handling/more tolerant of the crappy signal over the HDHomeRun. The problem lies in the antenna signal/coaxial wiring; if that actually is the problem.

Work on moving the antenna around to where you can get the best reception, keeping cable runs from the antenna to the tuners short, and having no -or as little- splitters possible in the run. If all that is done, and the problem still persists - you gonna have to go with a tuner that can work with the low/crappy signal and not cause the issue you're having with reboot. That means trying other models of AverMedia/HDHomeruns and/or other brands of tuners. Also, you can try going with a bigger/better antenna; and also trying everything previously mentioned. You might wanna try the better antenna before other tuners, IMO. Just laying out all the options.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:17 am

Get your antenna out of the attic. Sucks, but it will help a ton.

thumperyz69

Post by thumperyz69 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 pm

So an HDHomerun is that sensitive??? Weird...

Here is my location through TVfool... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 3454adafea

The antenna has been in my attic for 10 years with little to no trouble.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:45 am

I can't comment on the sensitivity/selectivity of the HDHR tuners vs. any other OTA tuner. But, I would start by checking/tightening/re-crimping/replacing all of the connectors between the antenna and the tuner. That would be your least expensive fix, and it is entirely possible that some connections have become loose, corroded, or whatever.

I recently experienced a failure with the impedance matching transformer (balun) at the antenna. It was the last thing I imagined would go bad.

thumperyz69

Post by thumperyz69 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:31 am

Thanks for the replies but remember my antenna is static meaning I am comparing my HDHomerun to the avermedia card. I unplug my direct cable from my antenna from the HDhomerun into the Avermedia card...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:55 am

thumperyz69 wrote:Thanks for the replies but remember my antenna is static meaning I am comparing my HDHomerun to the avermedia card. I unplug my direct cable from my antenna from the HDhomerun into the Avermedia card...
Yes, and the connections are still subject to vibration (which loosens them) and humidity and oxygen (which both cause corrosion).

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:48 am

thumperyz69 wrote: (The AVermedia card has an irritating bug where if I lose power the card is "dead" until I pull the card reboot into Windows power down and put the card back in and come up and all is good until I lose power again).
I'm just curious, which CPU are you using, Intel or AMD? And which AVermedia card? I've read that some folks have problems with the AVermedia Duet card & some say it's usually with an AMD CPU. I'm using 2 Duet cards with an Intel CPU and so far they work great.

thumperyz69

Post by thumperyz69 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:36 am

Thanks Mike...I am using an Intel powered box here.

josim

Post by josim » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Thump,

I'm with Ed & Barnabus on this issue.

I would check all your connections and cables first. If no help I might try re-orienting the antenna. At this point you should have a good signal with you HDHR. If not, you have eliminated the signal issue and can turn your attention to the tuner in question.

It's cheaper the do these thing that to buy and new HDHR.