Tuning adapter logistics

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Embiggens

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuning adapter logistics

Post by Embiggens » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 pm

So this will expose my sad lack of knowledge with how this stuff works, but...

I am installing a new infinitv6 pcie (coming from a pcie4). I am building a new computer for it. The old computer that ran the pcie4 is a Microserver in the basement- it sits right next to the tuning adapter and is directly connected. The new computer is currently sitting in the bedroom as I am working on setting everything up. While setting up, I simply ran a coax from the tuning adapter downstairs to the new computer upstairs, completely forgetting that there is also a USB connection required between the PC and the computer. This USB connection is actually still to the Microserver, which is still running.

So to summarize, the TA USB connection is to the old computer, the TA coax split is to the new computer. I am not sure if I should be surprised that setup went fine...? And also, is there any reason I could not keep it like this? It really would not be anything to change, I'm just curious.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:49 pm

If you ran the coax upstairs, then connect the tuning adapter to the PC upstairs via USB and then connect the TA and tuner to the coax line from the downstairs.

If you don't connect the TA to the computer you are setting up, then it won't tune SDV channels.

I hope you are moving the CableCARD too. And you will need to pair it up with the new tuner, as well.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:00 pm

The thing is, everything is working fine... I did move teh cablecard and call to do the re-pairing, and everything works fine, as far as I can tell. I have not noticed any missing channels. I think I've check SDV channels, in fact I think most of mine are SDV at this point.

The only odd thing about the setup is that the tuning adapter USB connection is to a different computer. Have I just gotten lucky and will run into problems if/when Charter changes anything about their decryption scheme?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 pm

It isn't working fine - you just haven't noticed the problem. The TA needs to be on the same PC as the InfiniTV or the tuner will not find it. In this case your TA isn't being usedl
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Ok ha ha, thanks for the reply.

I didn't test extensively but I didn't see *any* 'subscription required' errors at all- of course we were mostly just watching HGTV because, well, that's all we watch apparently, and I thought that was a switched digital channel on my provider. I guess it definitely is not? In summary, I'll fix it tonight.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Embiggens wrote:The thing is, everything is working fine... I did move teh cablecard and call to do the re-pairing, and everything works fine, as far as I can tell. I have not noticed any missing channels. I think I've check SDV channels, in fact I think most of mine are SDV at this point.

The only odd thing about the setup is that the tuning adapter USB connection is to a different computer. Have I just gotten lucky and will run into problems if/when Charter changes anything about their decryption scheme?
TA can do some funny things (light broadcast time out warnings across your network to other sets on other computers with other tuners for example). The easiest test to see if your new tuner sees the TA is to open the WebGui for the tuner (192.168.200.1) in a web browser, then click on the TA tab and see if it says ready or disabled. If it says ready, right click on the diagnostic map link and open in a new tab and see if it opens.

In theory it might work, BUT if there is any latency from the network you could easily start getting SDV1 or SDV3 errors on your tv screen so you should move the TA to directly connect the USB to the computer hosting the tuner card. If you want to leave everything in the basement, get the Ethernet version of the tuner and the TA will plug into it and everything can live in the basement and MC will find the tuner for TV set-up.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
Embiggens wrote:The thing is, everything is working fine... I did move teh cablecard and call to do the re-pairing, and everything works fine, as far as I can tell. I have not noticed any missing channels. I think I've check SDV channels, in fact I think most of mine are SDV at this point.

TA can do some funny things (light broadcast time out warnings across your network to other sets on other computers with other tuners for example). The easiest test to see if your new tuner sees the TA is to open the WebGui for the tuner (192.168.200.1) in a web browser, then click on the TA tab and see if it says ready or disabled. If it says ready, right click on the diagnostic map link and open in a new tab and see if it opens.

In theory it might work, BUT if there is any latency from the network you could easily start getting SDV1 or SDV3 errors on your tv screen so you should move the TA to directly connect the USB to the computer hosting the tuner card. If you want to leave everything in the basement, get the Ethernet version of the tuner and the TA will plug into it and everything can live in the basement and MC will find the tuner for TV set-up.
There's no way this "might" work - the code to make this work just doesn't exist. Also TA's don't "broadcast" - there's no way they can cause timeouts on other tuners (barrin the SDV node having issues and them also having an SDV problem)

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 pm

erkotz wrote:
JohnW248 wrote:
There's no way this "might" work - the code to make this work just doesn't exist. Also TA's don't "broadcast" - there's no way they can cause timeouts on other tuners (barrin the SDV node having issues and them also having an SDV problem)
Well maybe it doesn't "work" but I have seen examples of SDV time-out notices showing up on extenders not paired with the computer that has the tuner that has the time out notice. So I guess that's one that in theory doesn't work but in the real world happens. Also talk to Jeremy about TA discovery issues--of course maybe he was wrong but a few years ago he was discussing how the TA could be found if it was on the network. Maybe again something that "doesn't work" might have happen in the real world. But you might not have seen this since I have a mixed environment of SD & Ceton devices.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Thinking about this some more, I suppose there's one way this *MIGHT* work:
1. Bridge InfiniTV in new PC (without TA)
2. Have Ceton software installed on PC with the TA

The Ceton TA service might grab the TA across the network. I wouldn't recommend this config as it introduces extra complexity (not to mention that Network Tuners is not considered supported on the InfiniTV 6 PCIe) but it may work.