Channels Not Found in Guide

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
mcgahansj

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channels Not Found in Guide

Post by mcgahansj » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:25 pm

I have been trying to get my WMC to work for a couple of years now and I am at a loss. The same thing happens every time I try to set up my tv signal. So, I am hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on the issue.

The cable system I am using is not a standard one. I work for a University and we provide cable to our students. Zap2it has the correct channels (I have already emailed them and straightened that out), but when I set up the TV signal in WMC, it assigns the wrong channels and most don't even show up. When I do a standard scan, it only finds 5 channels. I can edit my channels and the listings associated with them to get up to 13 channels, but the numbers are wrong. For instance, HBO is supposed to be channel 38.1, but shows as 24.1.

I can't seem to get the channels to manually come in either. I have tried manually adding channels with the provided channel numbers, but they won't come in. The signal is not encrypted, so I don't know why they are not coming in.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I set up the WMC on my desktop to record shows for faculty who want to use them in class and so far I am stumped.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 pm

I would imagine that your university is changing the frequencies (the "actual" channel numbers) for your channels, similar to the way a hotel handles their cable TV. You should see if you can find the person at your university who is responsible for the overall cable system on campus to find out exactly what they are doing to the signal and channels.

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:08 pm

Agree with barnabas. Might be contracted cable system and the cable company might be shifting channels to prevent cable tv theft.