Verizon FiOS getting faster upload speeds

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

Verizon FiOS getting faster upload speeds

Post by Scallica » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 pm

"In a rare show of generosity from an Internet service provider, Verizon plans to boost FiOS upload speeds to match customers' download speeds at no extra charge."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2456089/ ... peeds.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:34 pm

p2p'ers will be happy ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:58 pm

STC wrote:p2p'ers will be happy ;)
Yea, that's probably who this will appeal to. For most residential uses, symmetrical speeds aren't that important.

Sounds like more of a marketing play than anything else.

I have 75/35 now, when it bumps up to 75/75, I don't think I will do anything differently.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:01 pm

The people who will really benefit will be those who are downloading P2P content, and they happen to catch a seeder who has a lot of upstream bandwidth.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:35 pm

It probably has something to do with Verizon's stance on net neutrality. Most people won't benefit from it, other than torrent P2P's.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Right; it's not like cloud backup solutions are popular today (OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud, Dropbox, CrashPlan, etc). Or, people (up)streaming/uploading video (Twitch, Youtube, vlogs, video podcasts, etc). Both of those are upload bandwidth intensive activities that are in no way popular with the masses today; so there must be no reason for Verizon to do this, except for p2p'rs.

It's like when whatever company comes out with a faster car, you all know they did it solely for the benefit of bank robbers only...... :lol:

Wrobertdavis

Post by Wrobertdavis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:23 am

Ed  wrote:Right; it's not like cloud backup solutions are popular today (OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud, Dropbox, CrashPlan, etc). Or, people (up)streaming/uploading video (Twitch, Youtube, vlogs, video podcasts, etc). Both of those are upload bandwidth intensive activities that are in no way popular with the masses today; so there must be no reason for Verizon to do this, except for p2p'rs.

It's like when whatever company comes out with a faster car, you all know they did it solely for the benefit of bank robbers only...... :lol:
Microsoft's announcement of 5 TB Onedrive space included with office 365 license may increase popularity. I am certainly reconsidering my backup strategy.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 am

Wrobertdavis wrote:
Ed  wrote:Right; it's not like cloud backup solutions are popular today (OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud, Dropbox, CrashPlan, etc). Or, people (up)streaming/uploading video (Twitch, Youtube, vlogs, video podcasts, etc). Both of those are upload bandwidth intensive activities that are in no way popular with the masses today; so there must be no reason for Verizon to do this, except for p2p'rs.

Microsoft's announcement of 5 TB Onedrive space included with office 365 license may increase popularity. I am certainly reconsidering my backup strategy.
That was my point; I was making fun of all they 'lol, piracy is all this will help' people in here.