Tuner Not Found

gary94080

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuner Not Found

Post by gary94080 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:12 am

I took a tuner card out of an HP Media Center PC and installed it into a new HP-500-267C.

for some reason the WMC is not detecting the tuner card and it is not showing up in the Device Manager. the card was working before I took it out of the older PC. I tried going to the Hauppauge site to check for new drivers. when I run the installation software for the 1800 series it stops and says no 1250 card detected.

I was running the WMC with a Hauppauge USB tuner but it seemed to be slow, so I tried moving the tuner card over.

any suggestion on what to do.

PC info:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64 bit Operating System

tuner card info:
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 (Model 78521 REV C1E9, Combo ATSC/QAM)

thanks,
Gary.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:44 am

I got an email response from Hauppauge:

"The problem is not because the HVR-1800 is an OEM card. Your new systems uses Gen2 or Gen3 PCIe slots and the HVR-1800 will not be recognized in those types of slots. It is based on older technology that only works in first generation PCIe slots."

so it looks like I will need to get a new card for that setup.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:50 am

That sounds like BS to me, but there may be settings in your BIOS to support older/legacy PCIe cards. Have you looked in the BIOS settings for something that mentions something about compatibility with older/legacy PCIe 1.0 or 1.1 cards?

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:43 am

Many motherboards these days have multiple Videocard slots.
If your board has an Extra Videocard slot that is not in use, try the Hauppauge card in that slot.
It may look odd because the slot is long but should still support the older 1x card anyway.
Also know, the bios is usually set to 'Auto' for the detection which is correct for that extra slot.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:51 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:That sounds like BS to me, but there may be settings in your BIOS to support older/legacy PCIe cards. Have you looked in the BIOS settings for something that mentions something about compatibility with older/legacy PCIe 1.0 or 1.1 cards?
Agreed, PCI3 should be backwards compatible. Just like a USB 1 mouse or keyboard will work with a USB 2 port.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:06 am

thanks for the suggestions. I tried them both.

the computer has 3 PCIe slots and one long slot, so I guess that would be the one if I wanted to use a video card instead of the motherboard. plugging the card in that slot didn't work.

I looked through the BIOS settings and did not find any place to make a selection to accept PCIe 1.0 cards.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:56 pm

gary94080 wrote:thanks for the suggestions. I tried them both.

the computer has 3 PCIe slots and one long slot, so I guess that would be the one if I wanted to use a video card instead of the motherboard. plugging the card in that slot didn't work.

I looked through the BIOS settings and did not find any place to make a selection to accept PCIe 1.0 cards.
In light of your stated attempts to get this working, it would be my current opinion that the card itself now has a problem.
It very easily could have been zapped by static electricity during the extraction/insertion processes.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:55 pm

possible. I plan on putting it back into the older pc but won't getting back to where it is for a couple of weeks.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:55 pm

gary94080 wrote:I plan on putting it back into the older PC but won't getting back to where it is for a couple of weeks.
Definitely do that, to verify that the card is still working. If the card is still working, I would suspect that the problem lies with the motherboard BIOS.

I have a TBS 6284 DVB-T2 card, and have problems on my Dell XPS420 system. On wake from sleep, the card is recognised only in one of the three PCI-E slots; if the card is in either of the other two slots, the card is absent on wake from sleep.

There is a news item on the TBS website about these problems with their cards, and it seems that many motherboard manufacturers have not correctly implemented PCI-E backwards compatibility in the motherboard BIOS. This is confirmed by TBS experience -- when other TBS users with this problem report the problem to the manufacturer of the motherboard, the manufacturer issues an updated BIOS a few weeks later that cures the problem.

You said in your first post that the card would not work in a "new" HP computer. If you mean an HP computer that is still being sold new, then it must still be supported by HP, so report the problem to them and demand a fix! In my case, my Dell had been out of production for several years before I discovered this problem, so no fix from them. :cry:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:48 pm

it took a while to get back to the PC the card was removed from, I put it back in and the card still functions

I did a little Google reading and from the parts that I could understand it seems that later PCI slots may only be backwards compatible to 1.1