Streaming content within Media Center

SJMaye

HTPC Specs: Show details

Streaming content within Media Center

Post by SJMaye » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:29 am

I watched a video on vmcPlayIt! running PlayOn in Media Center. I thought I had finally found way to get streaming access directly within Media Center. I purchased PlayOn only to find out that vmcPlayIt is dead. What is the current state of getting streaming access within Media Center?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 am

Built in Netflix, 3rd party Amazon Instant Video plugin, and Youtube via Relaunch are about it. Seems like most people are using dedicated streamers these days.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:26 pm

Newer HDTVs, Xbox and PlayStation and other external devices (such as BluRay players) have built-in streaming apps.

When Microsoft was pushing Windows Media Center as their center for home entertainment, I was using WMC for everything, including watching BluRay movies.

But now that Microsoft has halted development, and the capabilities of other devices have continued to improve - I'm using WMC as my source for live broadcast and recorded TV programming - and other devices for the other program sources.

Using an Xbox 360 as an extender provides both access to WMC and streaming sources. Too bad that Xbox One doesn't provide extender support, along with BluRay - so you'd have a single device that could do everything...

spanner

Post by spanner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:50 pm

I also used, or tried to use WMC for everything. I now Use it for recorded TV, live TV, music and family pictures. The good news is that Microsoft removed the need for a gold account for their streaming apps. For me the XBOX 360 is back as my favorite extender. It has all the apps i use including HBO, and XFINITY on demand ( which were not available on my ROKU). It all isn't within WMC, but finally it is all on the same hardware, and without Microsoft's extra charge. My wife even commented "isnt this how you've been wanting it". Microsoft may have halted development, but after all these years trying It finally does what i want. Not sure i would want a Xbox one for the price even if they had WMC as long as there are still relatively cheap 360's available

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Media Center has always been king of local content. For everything else you'll need to pick out a suitable streamer like Roku or Chromecast. You can force some things to work in MC (mentioned above) but they're all comprimises.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:54 pm

TubeCore was the way to use PlayOn, but TubeCore is no longer issuing new licenses. To be honest, I used vmcPlayIt, and later TubeCore for more than a year. To put it mildly, PlayOn was frustrating and the video quality was poor.

PlayOn sucks, Raymond.

Get a Roku 3.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:26 pm

Why are you "Steaming content", is it wrinkled or under-cooked? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
/mod edit - fixed

But seriously, PlayOn is truly terrible. The good thing about it is it will transcode just about everything. The bad thing is it transcodes just about everything.

I initially thought Xbox lifting the gold requirement for Netflix and other streaming apps was great. Then I actually tried Netflix on an Xbox. It's the same crippled 720p you get in WMC. No thanks, when my BD player gives me full Super HD 1080p Netflix at a 50% greater bitrate.

I understand the desire to do it all with one box, but it just can't be done these days, or at least done well. And with a good remote, cobbling together different sources can be completely seamless.

So I guess I'll pile on here and say don't stream in WMC.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:59 pm

mdavej wrote:Why are you "Steaming content", is it wrinkled or under-cooked? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
/mod edit - fixed

But seriously, PlayOn is truly terrible. The good thing about it is it will transcode just about everything. The bad thing is it transcodes just about everything.

I initially thought Xbox lifting the gold requirement for Netflix and other streaming apps was great. Then I actually tried Netflix on an Xbox. It's the same crippled 720p you get in WMC. No thanks, when my BD player gives me full Super HD 1080p Netflix at a 50% greater bitrate.

I understand the desire to do it all with one box, but it just can't be done these days, or at least done well. And with a good remote, cobbling together different sources can be completely seamless.

So I guess I'll pile on here and say don't stream in WMC.
Man, I thought about jabbing the OP about "steaming", but I decided not to. My thought was more along the lines of how steam (moisture) would affect his computer. Oh, crap, I see that the mods have fixed the title of this thread! Darn.

Anyway... just had to add my $0.02 about streaming on the XBox, programmable remotes, etc.

Since Micro$oft lifted the "Gold" requirement for video streaming (I refused to pay them any of my gold), I tried watching Netflix on the XBox360. All of my extenders are connected to 32" cheapie LCD TV's, which have a native resolution of 720p... so, I really don't care about the 720p limitation on the XBox for streaming.

My living room TV, a 64" 1080p plasma beauty, is connected directly to the PC. I use a Roku3 in the living room for streaming. It has great PQ, and the interface can't be beat.

The XBox360's Netflix interface is OK... but I still prefer the Roku for ease of use, and better transport controls.

In regard to your comment about programmable remotes: They are good, but EventGhost is better.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:22 pm

An extender with 720p Netflix is better than an extender with no Netflix; whether you decide to use a 3rd party device or not! :D

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:57 am

Playon may be terrible, not sure as I don't use that feature, but PlayLater feature is pretty awesome. Record Netflix, HBOGo amongst other things. Only 720p right now, so I use it for kids shows and older movies mostly, but you can record Youtube, which has a ton of songs/videos that you can record and then convert to MP3s. Takes a bit of extra time but well worth it.

It's hard to beat a Roku for streaming for functionality, ease of use and content. I have a Roku 3 and a MHL streaming stick. A one button push to switch inputs is all it takes. Recently got a JVC tv that came with the Roku Streaming Stick that uses the MHL/HDMI socket. Learned the JVC remote (Roku controls) to my RCA RCRP05B remote and it works really good. The streaming stick is a touch slower than the Roku 3, but not bad at all.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:39 pm

christoph86 wrote:Playon may be terrible, not sure as I don't use that feature, but PlayLater feature is pretty awesome. Record Netflix, HBOGo amongst other things.
Yeah, well vmcPlayIt and TubeCore used to allow you to record from PlayOn (without any DRM). When MediaMall created PlayLater, they forced TubeCore to disable the ability to record PlayOn. Since vmcPlayIt was no longer in development, they just blocked it completely.

So, you're paying for something that used to be free.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:05 am

Sorry I missed your jabs for my poor typing skills. :lol:

Anyway, I appreciate your comments on PlayOn. Based on that I think I will go ahead and ask for a full refund since I am still within the 30 day window.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:44 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
christoph86 wrote:Playon may be terrible, not sure as I don't use that feature, but PlayLater feature is pretty awesome. Record Netflix, HBOGo amongst other things.
Yeah, well vmcPlayIt and TubeCore used to allow you to record from PlayOn (without any DRM). When MediaMall created PlayLater, they forced TubeCore to disable the ability to record PlayOn. Since vmcPlayIt was no longer in development, they just blocked it completely.

So, you're paying for something that used to be free.
That may be, I don't know anything about it, but I don't mind paying for the Playlater. It was 50 or 60 bucks for lifetime and is non drm. It's already paid for itself for me.