Eventghost help with IR blasting

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
3rob3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Eventghost help with IR blasting

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Can anyone help me accomplish this task? I have this remote/receiver:
I would like to use Eventghost to receive a signal from this remote (a rarely used button like *), and then have it blast the command learned from my tv remote to switch HDMI inputs. I don't even know where to start as this software seems pretty complicated, plus as soon as I load the MCE remote plugin and service to Eventghost the remote becomes completely nonfunctional in Media Center.
I know barnabas1969 has done similar but he is using HDMI-CEC, but if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it!

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:57 am

Think I got it working. Of course now I can't find an IR emitter to test it with.....

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:44 pm

In case you don't get this rather complicated solution working, a cheap universal remote will solve this quite easily. I like this $4 backlit Atlas:

This, somewhat less programmable URC is another popular option:

Even a different version of your Microsoft remote, like this Xbox remote will switch TV inputs. It only requires a simple registry change to make an Xbox remote work on a PC.

There are many simple solutions to this problem.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Believe me, I read many of your posts about JP1 and strongly considered that but couldn't find a remote I was happy with (the Vizio one was close though). I also have the Xbox remote but hate the fact you have to press TV every time I want to change the volume.
I love the Microsoft remote I linked to above because it is so easy to use with the programmable volume and TV power buttons. It seamlessly controls everything I need I just wish it could also change my TV inputs. I like them so much I have 3 brand new backups! Also, looks like Google agrees as they are using the same basic remote for their Google Fiber boxes (though they added a programmable input button):

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Since you really like that shape and layout, how about this remote?
It's one of my all time favorite JP1 remotes. Don't forget you can put any function on any button, plus you get full learning, macros, and several other advanced features (5 functions per button, unlimited devices, unlimited macro steps, subroutines, variables, flags, state tracking, delays, etc.). So don't get too hung up on how the buttons are labeled. That means nothing really.

If you really don't want to be talked out of this, then look at some of the HP dongles that have IR transmitters. I don't know if your Microsoft one transmits or not. You may also need LIRC. If you Google IRScrutinizer, you'll find other IR transmitter / receiver devices that can also be scripted to send any signal you want.
Last edited by mdavej on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Yeah, that one looks much better layout wise! Got a model number?

eidt: Nevermind think it's this for the backlit "NS-RC02U-10A 67100BA1-005-R (TV model NS-L32X-10A) backlit "

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:01 pm

3rob3 wrote:Yeah, that one looks much better layout wise! Got a model number?

eidt: Nevermind think it's this for the backlit "NS-RC02U-10A 67100BA1-005-R (TV model NS-L32X-10A) backlit "
It has many, many model numbers. See the thread below for some of them. I may even have a few spares myself. I'll have to check my stash.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewt ... c&&start=0

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:42 am

Hi 3rob3,

The EG plugin and the related service takes over your Media Center remote by default, preventing Media Center from receiving the commands from the remote. However, if you installed the Alternate MCE-IR service, and then go to the following link and download the TXT file (and rename it to a .REG), then double-click the .REG file... it will restore your remote back to original.
http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtop ... =45#p22340

After doing that, you will get events in EG and your remote will also work as it did before you installed the EG plugin.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:46 am

Thanks barnabas1969! I did find your link soon after I originally posted and believe I did get it working, I just need to find my IR blaster cable. I swear I had like 10 of those things lying around unused for years, now I can't find one! Once you figure out the basics of Eventghost it makes much more sense. Really a cool piece of software.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:47 am

3rob3 wrote:Thanks barnabas1969! I did find your link soon after I originally posted and believe I did get it working, I just need to find my IR blaster cable. I swear I had like 10 of those things lying around unused for years, now I can't find one! Once you figure out the basics of Eventghost it makes much more sense. Really a cool piece of software.
EG is by far the best FOSS I've found anywhere. And the developers actively support it!

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested. I got an IR emitter for the receiver and this is working flawlessly! I disable sleep on my Media Center pc so I setup Eventghost to listen for the MCE.Sleep keypress, and when it receives that it blasts out the command learned from my TV remote to switch HDMI inputs. Now my single remote (shown above) turns TV on/off, controls receiver volume, and switches inputs.

I did intially try using the * and # keys on my remote, but that seemed to cause issues for some reason in Eventghost (it only worked every 5th time or so).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:21 pm

I haven't tested it, but it's possible that the * and # keys are not detected as MCE events in EG. In that case, you would get different raw data when the remote changes the toggle bit between key presses. To remedy this, you can simply add all of the events to your macro (a macro can have as many events in it as you like) which get generated when you repeatedly press the * and # keys.

You can also make a single key act as a toggle. For example, you could create a macro so that when you press the sleep button the first time, it will switch to HDMI-1, and the next time you press it... HDMI-2, and the 3rd time you press it... back to HDMI-1. You can even make EG "remember" what HDMI input it selected last time by storing it in a persistent variable so that EG will even "remember" after a reboot of the PC.

The only limitation to EG is your imagination.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Ok, so I'm seeing the occasional "hang" again like I described previously using the * and # keys. It will work perfectly fine for awhile, then eventually I press the key I have assigned to trigger the macro and nothing happens. Press it again.....nothing. Then, up to a minute later, it suddenly responds to all the presses at once and blasts out a bunch in a row. Then it works fine for awhile again. It seems like it is hung up then recovers after a bit.
Any ideas? My only guess at this time is it's a Win 8.1 issue.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:12 pm

What do you see in the EG logger window?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Just an update in case anyone is following or interested in doing something similar. I updated the plugin to the newer one here and it is now working flawlessly:
http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtop ... f=9&t=6044

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Yes, you would have had intermittent problems if you installed the older one from the attachments at the top of the old thread. You would have needed to dig deeper into the old thread to find the newer version of the service. The old version would drop data. The original dev dropped off the face of the planet, so nobody could add a new version to the first post. The new dev started the new thread you linked.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:50 am

I had a parallel thread on a similar issue. I wanted to create my own multi-device remote control out of a OEM MS MCE remote and I was pointed to this thread. Interesting! Pls help me make sure I am understanding this correctly. Use Event Ghost to learn my TV (in my case) IR commands. Then when I want to I can use the MCE remote and EG will send the learned commands to the TV via IR blaster?

You are using the PC sleep button to trigger this? Please help me understand how this works. Is it like selecting a second device button on a universal remote?

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:31 am

mdavej wrote: Even a different version of your Microsoft remote, like this Xbox remote will switch TV inputs. It only requires a simple registry change to make an Xbox remote work on a PC.

There are many simple solutions to this problem.
mdavej,

can you point me to the registry change you reference?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:17 pm

SJMaye wrote:I had a parallel thread on a similar issue. I wanted to create my own multi-device remote control out of a OEM MS MCE remote and I was pointed to this thread. Interesting! Pls help me make sure I am understanding this correctly. Use Event Ghost to learn my TV (in my case) IR commands. Then when I want to I can use the MCE remote and EG will send the learned commands to the TV via IR blaster?

You are using the PC sleep button to trigger this? Please help me understand how this works. Is it like selecting a second device button on a universal remote?
Dave has disabled sleep on his PC, so when he presses the on/off button on the remote, the PC does nothing. So, he created an EG macro that triggers on the event that fires when he presses the on/off button. An EG macro can do many things. Dave set it up to send IR commands to his TV.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:11 pm

Well, it was actually me but what barnabas1969 says above is true. If you are trying to emulate a bunch of your TV's remote buttons this probably won't work for you. Since I just needed one button (switch tv input) this worked well for me.

It was also me who linked you to this thread, but it was to point you in the direction of some JP1 programmable remotes that mdavej suggests that have similar layouts to the MS remotes.