Upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7 Ultimate

glynnsmith

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7 Ultimate

Post by glynnsmith » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:37 pm

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate front in HTPC with the Ceton InfiniTV 4. I am considering upgrading to Windows 8(or .1) Pro with WMC but I am concerned about maintaining the DRM / protected content with the upgrade. I have 11TB of content on a storage server that I can't lose in the process. As Windows 8 doesn't include WMC by default, will the upgrade translate the DRM from Windows 7? Is there a safe process to go about the upgrade? I will create a backup image of the drive with Macrium Reflex before starting.

Glynn

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Others have reported that you can successfully upgrade and the DRM works fine. However, a clean install will break the DRM.

glynnsmith

Post by glynnsmith » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Can I go directly to 8.1 or do I need to update to Windows 8 first?

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:52 am

You get the 8.1 update from the Windows Store after the base install of Win 8. After you install Win 8.1 from the Windows Store (by opening the Store App, searching for the Windows 8.1 Update, and then selecting to install it), all future updates will come from Windows Update service like you have traditionally received updates in the past.

glynnsmith

Post by glynnsmith » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:22 am

steveo_in_sd wrote:You get the 8.1 update from the Windows Store after the base install of Win 8. After you install Win 8.1 from the Windows Store (by opening the Store App, searching for the Windows 8.1 Update, and then selecting to install it), all future updates will come from Windows Update service like you have traditionally received updates in the past.
Understood. Just wondering if I could do the upgrade directly to 8.1 and still maintain the DRM. The Microsoft site states that it doesn't maintain all settings unless you go to Win 8 first.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:55 pm

I would suggest you do a system image of your windows 7 install prior to upgrading that way you have a way back in case your windows 8.1 update doesn't go as planned.

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:20 pm

glynn- What video card do you use in your HTPC to drive the HDMI to the television?

glynnsmith

Post by glynnsmith » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:10 pm

ewtaylo wrote:glynn- What video card do you use in your HTPC to drive the HDMI to the television?

I have the NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 680. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130769). Works pretty well, but currently get some weird fading in and out issues with Media center when ran at full screen. Supposedly something to do with the 3D settings, but haven't been able to get it completely resolved at this point. Was actually hoping the driver support / issue is somewhat lessened in WIn8 MC. I never had this issue with the ATI 5970 I had in the system previously. However, I don't believe it supported the 3D Video.

glynnsmith

Post by glynnsmith » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:11 pm

newfiend wrote:I would suggest you do a system image of your windows 7 install prior to upgrading that way you have a way back in case your windows 8.1 update doesn't go as planned.

I just used Macrium Reflect to capture the image and restore it to a larger SSD drive. I will capture the image right before I proceed with the upgrade. However, just giving it a couple days to see if I get any advice prior to the weekend.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:28 pm

+1 on imaging your Windows 7 install just in case. I recently moved two flawless 7x64 systems to 8.1 by clean-installing 8, installing the one update necessary to make 8.1 appear in the Store, and then applying the 8.1 update. The one with the Z87 chipset, i5-4670, and GT430 (4600->monitor, GT430->TV) went great, no problems at all. The older one with the P55 chipset, i5-750, and GTX660 (monitor, TV) was unable to resume from sleep without throwing TDRs. Each resumption would result in either a black screen or a slow-to-appear lock screen, and there would be a pair of TDRs for each. If I waited long enough, the black screen would sometimes BSOD, but I could also sleep again, resume, and get the slow-to-appear lock screen. It would alternate like this very consistently. I tried Nvidia drivers from 314 to the current beta, and nothing helped. I've never overclocked, and there were no errors with memtest86+ or Prime95. So, I went back to 7x64 on that system and was very glad I had a recent image to restore.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:52 pm

glynnsmith wrote:Understood. Just wondering if I could do the upgrade directly to 8.1 and still maintain the DRM. The Microsoft site states that it doesn't maintain all settings unless you go to Win 8 first.
Nope...Go the upgrade route...upgrade (not clean install) to win 8, then as mentioned do the 8->8.1 (and update 1) through the update process...yes, a PITA, but keeps all the DRM and stuff consistent.