Strange Task Scheduler/Extender problem

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange Task Scheduler/Extender problem

Post by Beerman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:45 pm

I've run into a problem I can't seem to permanently solve.
When my guide no longer updated, I checked the Task Scheduler and got a number of errors which all said the same thing....“The selected task “{0}” no longer exists. To see the current task click Refresh”.
Since this happened when I added an extender I searched and found the fix here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2535270
The fix works but then I lose the extender. So, I reconfigure the extender and things are fine until I again realize days later that my guide is again not updating and I get the same error messages in Task Scheduler and have to apply the fix again.
Certainly something is wrong and adding (and having only 1) extender should not cause this problem. I have exhausted all other possibilities and have done nothing to this system other than adding an extender. WMC has worked flawlessly with updates.
Any ideas at all?

Heckler

Post by Heckler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:27 am

I'm having this same problem, had started my own thread a couple months back when it first happened and now it's happening again after re-imgaing my HTPC and now re-adding the same extender!!

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=1819

If anybody has ideas, I'm ready to try things!

Heckler

Post by Heckler » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:13 am

So I figured I try to add one of the XBOX 360 Slims that I have... Same problem.

It adds just fine, and immediately after adding it I checked to see if the Scheduled Tasks were still there still there and they WERE; but, within 24-48 hours, they had once again disappeared...

So once again I performed the steps in the KB and VIOLA my Scheduled Tasks re-appear! So, I'm going to guess this is a problem caused by one of the WMC maintenance routines...

I'm happy to try suggestions that folks might have. Do we know how to follow-up with MS on a KB where they've provided an "undo" procedure; but, no cause or "solution" guidance? Would there be any point in reaching out via PM to erkotz to see if he knows anything or can get MS re-engaged on the KB?

What I'm considering now is to export all the WMC Scheduled Tasks, re-add the XBOX 360 (removes any blame it on Samsung scapegoating), and reboot the HTPC to see if the Tasks still exist. If they do, I'll monitor it more closely and see if I can pinpoint a window when the tasks once again disappear so I can check the Event Logs. Beyond that, I may even be willing to try to re-importing the tasks from the exports to see if that fixes it.