Quick Fix: Ceton InfiniTV ETH6 Slow Channel Changes

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
golfdude

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by golfdude » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:50 am

im curious as to what you might think might cause some of my channel to change super quick (3 seconds), but others, sit on a black screen for almost 10 seconds before working..

ive actually impleetnted all the "fixes" from the thread, from new router, switch, jumbo frames, new power plug, etc.. so im curious what is causing the channel change lag on some channels, but its fine on others

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 am

Perhaps some are sdv and some are not.

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:58 am

nope its not SDV.. only league sports packs are sdv in my area.. all other channels are normal..

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:24 pm

In task manager under processes, right click on CetonTRIFSvc.exe*32 and change it's priority to realtime. See if this improves your channel changing speed.

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:15 pm

nope.. that change did nothing.. some channels are still near instant, while others are slow

fleanote

Post by fleanote » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:04 am

Maybe this will help. I just (and I mean 5 minutes ago) replaced my media center in the garage. I did it because even though I had normal channel changes on all my media PC's - this one in particular was slightly stuttered when tuning in pay channels like HBO. None of my other media centers do that and they are all the same make and model - except this one. It wasn't fast enough and its video card not strong enough. I had a 3rd party card in the box and the processor was slightly slower than my others. Now that i've replaced it, the smooth transitions are back (when you hit the Green button and visually see the screens swoosh into place). My pay channels now tune in a second as well. The PC just wasn't strong enough - maybe that can affect channel change speed time (i'm thinking video card more than PC).

In case you're wondering the specs, I use the same HP DC7800 used 3Ghz/4GB RAM SFF (small form factor) boxes I get off Ebay for about $75. The box I replaced was an HP7700 with a 2.6Ghz and 3rd party 512MB video card.

fleanote

Post by fleanote » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Update on this and my garage PC. All was well as I reported, but I didn't test the pay channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc). When I tried there was a delay followed by a 'your tuner cant play protected content' error. I was upset until I googled the error. Turns out that MS never built in support for HDCP compliance into the DisplayPort on machines. It can't handle Digital rights management (and who knew the protection extends to the actual DisplayPort cable going from the PC to the monitor? I didn't). Either way, I replaced the cable with a standard VGA and all is well. The pay channels tune just as fast as the local programming. All is right with the world again. Hope the tip helps.

wreels

Post by wreels » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:08 pm

fleanote wrote:go to the network cards properties and find the Advanced option for 'Jumbo Packet' and change it from disabled to its highest setting which hopefully is 4088 or higher. Lastly, go to Add/Remove Programs and click on 'Windows Features' and uncheck/disable the 'Remote differential compression' option.

Did these steps and now WMC is able to change and tune channels from my two InfiniTV 6 ETHs devices in 2-3 seconds - which is lightning fast compared to the 8-15 seconds it was taking before I made the changes! Note also, my Trendnet GREENnet TEG-S81g supports Jumbo Frame technology. Thanks fleanote for sharing your fix! :-)