Channel lineup different on HomeRun Prime and Ceton InfiniTV

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
pc210018

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channel lineup different on HomeRun Prime and Ceton InfiniTV

Post by pc210018 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:02 pm

I have cable service from Charter which recently went to 100% digital in my area (Atlanta). At that time I just had the InfiniTV 4 PCIe and I notice that there were a couple channels on my cable box that did not show up in Media Center. Since they were channels I usually didn't watch, I did not pursue it. Then I added a HomeRun Prime (since now all TV's require a cable box) to up my tuner count to 7. After researching a recording error the other night I find out the the HomeRun Prime channel list does not have several of the channels I do often record (NFL being one).
So as far as I can tell:
the cable box gets all the channels
the Ceton card is missing a couple channels
The HomeRun Prime is missing several more in addition to the ones Ceton is missing.

I am thinking maybe a signal strength issue? The Ceton and cable box come off the same splitter about 100' from the distribution box. While the HomeRun is right at the distribution box. So I would think the signals would be even strong there.

Any thoughts?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:28 pm

It is more likely to be an issue with the cable company not authorizing all of the channels in your CableCARD. You can check the list of channels in the HDHRP's webpages. If you don't see them there, then it is not due to a signal strength problem, and you will need to call your cable company to get them to fix the list of authorized channels so that it matches what you pay for.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Is it possible that you need a Tuning Adapter (TA) for the tuners to receive the missing channels?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:45 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Is it possible that you need a Tuning Adapter (TA) for the tuners to receive the missing channels?
That's a possibility, but it wouldn't explain why he gets channels on the InfiniTV which he doesn't get on the HDHRP.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:56 pm

It sounds like a signal strength issue to me as well. Cable Co. provided STBs and built in TV tuners have a very high tolerance vs PC tuners (in general) from my experience. That would be my first guess.

DanH

Post by DanH » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:56 pm

I recently upgraded my Cable TV service (Comcast) and was missing some channels. Called Comcast and they sent a technician who removed unnecessary splitters and the problem went away.

Signal strength can definitely be a cause. You may need some type of signal booster to handle all of those tuners.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

pc210018

Post by pc210018 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks for the responses.
I do have tunning adapters on both units.

I'll check the "list of channels in the HDHRP's webpages". Does this list get populated by a load from the cable company? So I should see every channel in my package reguardless of the signal being high enough to actual tune to it in a channel scan?

It is hard to make a case for low signal levels to Charter when their STB is so much more tolerant