infiniTV ETH Can't Find Tuners...Frustrated

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Viventis

HTPC Specs: Show details

infiniTV ETH Can't Find Tuners...Frustrated

Post by Viventis » Wed May 28, 2014 5:59 pm

I have a setup with the infiniTV ETH and the HTPC (Win 7) both connected to an unmanaged switch (TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Green Switch), in turn connected to my router. My cable company is Charter and I am in an all digital area with the speed upgrade to 60 Mbps download. The Charter feed comes from the drop box at my street to my attic connected to one of their special splitter amplifiers with an input, a special internet out and multiple outs for TV. I disconnected all but two TV outs. When everything works, I get decent performance with some occasional pixelization on some channels, but my average SNR is 38 and SS is -4 to -5. Once I am watching, I don't disconnect.

The trouble is that most of the time I try to connect after being away, WMC can't find the tuners. I have to reboot the HTPC and/or unplug and re-plug the Ceton box to get up and running. Therefore, recording shows is hit and miss. Mostly miss. The HTPC is fairly new with an AMD quad core processor, 4 MB of ram, and a Realtech NIC on the MB. I have the power mode of the PC set to never sleep. I have tried almost everything I can think of but the problem remains. I even went into the NIC software and turned off the "Green" function. One time, the Ceton diagnostic could see the tuners but WMC could not. I am frustrated because I need to know that when I set the HTPC to record a show, it will be there. Any help appreciated.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed May 28, 2014 9:29 pm

To start off with, I would recommend the following:
1. Remove (not disable) any Firewall/AV/Internet Security software you have installed
2. Upgrade your NIC drivers
3. Upgrade your InfiniTV firmware

If the issue persists, open a support ticket at http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:19 pm

I have updated everything. The only firewall I have is Windows, and I verified that all Ceton related software has permission. Still get the same "can't find tuner" problems. When this happens, I can't see the Ceton device in my network map either. The solution always involves unplugging and re-powering the Ceton box. I then see an internal blue light flashing rapidly. A reboot of the HTPC will then do the job. I have heard that the Home Run Prime does not have this problem. It might be time for a switch.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:55 pm

I had similar issues and was using a Trendnet 8 port unmanaged gigabit green switch.

I changed to an Asus 8 port gigabyte switch which cleared up a lot of my problems.

I'm not seeing how this made a difference but it appears to have.

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:28 pm

I ordered a new switch. I am crossing fingers but I have decided that this is the last money I throw at this problem. I am just wondering why my network can always see every single device connected to it except the Ceton ETH, which mysteriously drops off the network map for no apparent reason.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Viventis wrote:I have updated everything. The only firewall I have is Windows, and I verified that all Ceton related software has permission. Still get the same "can't find tuner" problems. When this happens, I can't see the Ceton device in my network map either. The solution always involves unplugging and re-powering the Ceton box. I then see an internal blue light flashing rapidly. A reboot of the HTPC will then do the job. I have heard that the Home Run Prime does not have this problem. It might be time for a switch.
I would recommend that you upgrade to the latest beta firmware release we have available. If the issue persists beyond that, please open a support ticket at http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:04 am

I run 4 off the TrendNET green 8 port gigabit switches connected to a 5 port Netgear managed gigabit. I constantly run 5 simultaneous HD streams with no issues. I did research about gigabit switches and found the majority use the same chips.

However at the moment my PCIe is falling of the map. However my ETH is running fine. So I wonder if a Windows update sneaked in without me knowing it?

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:04 pm

The new switch made no difference. I have submitted a support ticket.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:34 am

They are going to tell you to make sure you have a few hot fixes in place. These are the first two:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2679255
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2713128

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:03 am

I'd love to know model numbers of switches works well (though i have HDHRs). I've heard of so many that don't play well with extenders or whatever. The hps I've heard good things about are past my pain threshold....

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:45 am

I don't think your switch is the problem. I've been running four Trendnet TEG-S80g's for over a year now without issue. My WMC PC is plugged into one of them which then goes to a Netgear 5 port gigabit switch which then has 3 other TEG-S80g's plugged into it. My Xbox 360 is plugged into a different TEG-S80g. So in my network the packets are flowing through 3 switches. I have heavy Guage shielded cat5e connecting it all together.

What brand of network card does your PC have? If it's a Realtek then there are some settings we need to adjust.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:59 pm

I have been using Trendnet unmanaged 8 port since day 1.
I have never installed any Ceton recommended Hot fixes.
I have manually installed all Windows updates as they come (except device driver updates).
I did change some things in my network lan drivers that seems to help (never changed them back):
● Disable windows network throttling in registry
And disable these network adapter driver settings:
● IPv4 Checksum Offload - Disable
● Large Send Offload (IPv4) - Disable
● TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable
● UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:29 am

I was given three hotfixes to install. It has been two days and I have noticed a definite improvement. I have not dropped the tuners yet. It is a Realtek NIC.

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:39 am

Viventis wrote:I was given three hotfixes to install. It has been two days and I have noticed a definite improvement. I have not dropped the tuners yet. It is a Realtek NIC.
kd6iz: What are the settings you mentioned?

delightfor

Post by delightfor » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:45 pm

I've been reading through this thread and have very similar issues. My biggest one though is missing the recordings. This drives me and more importantly, my wife, NUTS. to the point she wants me to throw away all the gear i just bought to eliminate the DAMM Verizon boxes (which i've returned). NOT gonna happen so this must get fixed. My NIC is a Realtek and I've done these changes inadvertently thinking it was related to the realtek nic oops! but seem to help a little.
IPv4 Checksum Offload - Disable
Large Send Offload (IPv4) - Disable
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable
I'd still like to know how to do this one: "Disable windows network throttling in registry"

So now, i guess i have few options. 1. install latest firmware and 2. the two hot fixes mentioned?

kd6iz: since you are the one that mentioned the realtek nic adjustments, can you please provide?

any other suggestions from the group?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:38 pm

To configure the throttling rate, change the value of the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry under the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\

Name : NetworkThrottlingIndex
Value type : DWORD
Value data : From integer 1 through integer 70 (Decimal) (Decimal)

By default, the value for the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry is set to 10. When the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry does not exist, the behavior resembles the default behavior. Network throttling can be completely turned off by setting the value to FFFFFFFF (hexadecimal). You must restart the computer after you make a change to the value of the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry.

---------------------

I would certainly recommend disabling network throttling with a Realtek NIC as I have had good results.

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:22 pm

The hotfixes have done it. I have not lost the tuners since running them.

delightfor

Post by delightfor » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi MCEWinter,

Appreciate your response and thank you. Not knowing either way, is the onboared Realtek NIC a good thing or bad?
Related to the setting in the registry, sounds to me like it's currently set to 10 (by default) and being (non existent) also means it's set to 10. To eliminate either the default setting of 10 or the "does not exist" state, which i'm assuming it'll be blank? i'll go ahead and insert the FFFFFFFF value to confirm it's disabling. correct?

Thanks again!

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Correct "FFFFFFFF" to disable. I've had several motherboard with onboard Realtek NIC and they are not the best by a long shot but not a showstopper.

Changing the mentioned settings mainly improves (or not) network packet loss. Have you confirmed if your recordings are suffering due to network packet loss?

Snoogins34

Post by Snoogins34 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster, etc.

I am a new ITV6 ETH owner, and am running into this same issue. In my case, I am splitting my tuners up between 2 machines right now (soon to be 3), and only one of the PC's seems to be having this issue. My main WMC machine where I have 4 tuners assigned is OK, but my office desktop (1 tuner) has this issue daily. I've verified that restarting the ehrecvr service fixes it, but obviously that's not a good workaround for recording.

One thing that sets the problem machine apart is that it is plugged directly into my router, whereas the main HTPC is plugged into a TrendNET unmanaged gigabit switch along with the other components (ITV tuner, HDHR, 2 Xboxes), which is then uplinked to the same router.

VIVENTIS - you said that the 3 hotfixes that Ceton gave you to apply seem to fix the problem. What were those hotfixes? I'm assuming that 2 of them were the ones that KD6ICZ posted above - if so, what was the 3rd one?

Thanks!
Rob