Ceton offering continuing sales on the Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Ed  wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I haven't tried the XBox with Netflix and others yet. I'll give that a shot after they open up access to non-gold subscribers. I think that happens next month, right?
Yeah in June (no firm June date though; so could be the first or last day of the month, or anywhere in-between). If you like Netflix on the Roku, it's the same on the Netflix. Then all the other apps like Hulu and Youtube etc (they all have a XBOX aesthetic design wise, so I can't tell you it's just like on 'x' device). I got 4 months free of Gold with all of my XBOX units, one month for each unit. If you bought any new you should have a 1 month trial per unit as well. If they were all used, then yeah you prob don't. It will be worth the wait to have all the apps and WMC on one input though :D. The only thing it lacks is a Plex or MediaBrowser3 app, but I use the native WMC Movie Library for my rips so it isn't a concern (or you could use MediaBrowser Classic). I've since made my HTPC a headless WMC server (rebuilt to be very low power too - check my specs :D) and only use XBOX units at all the TVs now. Also, don't have to deal with all the little quirks like HDMI handshake or 29/59 bug on HBO etc that way.
I really like the Netflix interface on Roku 3. So much that I've completely abandoned the Media Center Netflix add-in. Haven't tried Hulu on Roku, because I refuse to pay for Hulu Plus. I rarely use Hulu to watch a show I missed somehow, and the Hulu Desktop app has worked fine for that. I wish that Hulu would allow embedded devices to use the free version of Hulu. They might make more advertising revenue that way.

Question: You mentioned the ease of one HDMI input with the XBox. But don't you have to navigate to the "Close" menu in Media Center to get back to the XBox dashboard? Is there an easier way, possibly a single button on a remote control? I know that the XBox will start Media Center from the dashboard (or when off) by simply pressing the green button on the remote. Is there a button to go to the dashboard? Is there a button to go directly to Netflix or some other streaming app?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 pm

I got the same price on Echo 6 months ago and every holiday since. So I don't buy that they're discontinued. Even if they were, why is Ceton the only company morally obligated to say what's on closeout? I'll continue to take advantage of these deal and look forward to the Ceton II if/when it comes.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Ed  wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:
Ed  wrote:Yeah, while I wouldn't worry about Microsoft per se - I'd be worried about the kids purchasing every game and DLC on XBOX Live as well :P
Exactly. That, and I was also concerned that it would automatically convert to a paid account unless I cancelled before the end of the free month.
It would have, but I believe you can either remove the card from the account before then or set it to not renew. I did one of those with my first trial, but I can't recall which. I set up reminders in Google Now anyway before stuff like that is set to expire so I remember to cancel. After that, I used up my last free 3 months and decided I liked the experience so much, it was worth paying for Gold IMO. So I got a 1 year subscription for $40. I've only used about 4 months out of that, and Microsoft has said it will refund people for the rest of the time they paid up to when the Gold apps become free if they so choose. Even if I didn't do that, paying 10 bucks a month for only 4 months (what it would have worked out to) was still worth it for the experience on my extenders throughout the house for me.
For 40 bucks, you could have just bought a used Roku.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 pm

mdavej wrote:I got the same price on Echo 6 months ago and every holiday since. So I don't buy that they're discontinued. Even if they were, why is Ceton the only company morally obligated to say what's on closeout? I'll continue to take advantage of these deal and look forward to the Ceton II if/when it comes.
I don't care about the price. They delivered a flawed product and haven't provided any updates for a long, long time. I wouldn't buy a "Ceton II" (I assume you meant Echo II) even if they paid me to take it.

[Moderator note: off-topic comments moved here--> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=7460]

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Thu May 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Do you also spend vast amounts of time in car enthusiast forums, for makes/models of vehicles that you don't own, talking about how that vehicle is flawed and whatever you drive is better? I can't believe how much time and effort that you spend here, for a guy that claims to not have an Echo (let alone any Ceton product).

I think it's been discussed many, many times that everyone's mileage with the Echo has and will vary. Somehow you show up in every thread and take it down this path, ultimately ending up in "my legacy extenders are better" territory. We get it, you don't own and you don't like the Echo!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:13 pm

dabretty wrote:Do you also spend vast amounts of time in car enthusiast forums, for makes/models of vehicles that you don't own, talking about how that vehicle is flawed and whatever you drive is better? I can't believe how much time and effort that you spend here, for a guy that claims to not have an Echo (let alone any Ceton product).

I think it's been discussed many, many times that everyone's mileage with the Echo has and will vary. Somehow you show up in every thread and take it down this path, ultimately ending up in "my legacy extenders are better" territory. We get it, you don't own and you don't like the Echo!
No, but if someone asks about a car that I owned in the past, I will certainly tell them about MY experience with that car. In this case, the car called the Ceton Echo just plain sucked. I owned that car. It took almost a minute to start the engine when I first got in the car. When I tried to drive it for more than 30 minutes, the engine died and it took 5 minutes to get it started again. Sometimes it even crashed the gasoline pump!

The manufacturer promised a bunch of features which they never delivered. They also promised that they would fix the existing problems, but after about a year... they finally announced that they could not fix it because there was something wrong with the ECU (Engine Control Unit)... and the ECU manufacturer wasn't going to provide a fix. The car manufacturer should have issued a recall, but they didn't. They just expected the buyers to live with the problems which they blamed on the ECU manufacturer.

In response to some of my problems, the manufacturer of the car told me that I should try replacing the road that I was driving it on... even though all my other cars could drive on the same road with no problems. It sucked so bad that I returned it for a refund! The used cars that I bought, which were about 5 years old, performed better than the new Ceton Echo. I think that's important information.

So, after driving that car for 4 months, and hoping for a fix to the myriad of problems, I returned it. Does that disqualify me from expressing my opinions about the car which I once owned?

If Ford, GM or Chrysler did that to you, you'd be first in line to sue them in court! I realize that this thing cost less than 200 bucks, but what Ceton did is no less despicable.

BTW, by definition, the Echo is a legacy extender! It uses the GDI interface like the legacy extenders, and it is no longer in production... with very little support and no future updates/upgrades. That's my definition of "legacy". What's yours?

And, while we're on the subject of cars... the 2005 Saturn VUE is the worst car I've ever owned. I drive a LOT. I put about 36,000 miles per year on my cars. Most of the cars I've owned had more than 200,000 miles on them before I got rid of them and bought a new one. I got rid of my VUE when the parts were going to cost me more than the value of the vehicle (I do my own labor on my vehicles). I've never had a vehicle which had as many problems as that one. It sucked. The only reasons I bought it was because it was an amazing deal and "Saturn" had a good reputation for quality. I've avoided GM cars most of my life because I've seen first-hand the shoddy engineering of GM on many occasions. My father worked for GM. You wouldn't believe the stories he told about how they build the cars. Most of my cars have been Ford or Chrysler vehicles, with a few imports sprinkled here and there. I've had the best experience with Chrysler. I'm happy to tell people to avoid GM vehicles due to my experience. I'm also happy to tell people to avoid Ceton for the very same reason.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:39 pm

dabretty wrote:I think it's been discussed many, many times that everyone's mileage with the Echo has and will vary.
I think the important takeaway is that the experience doesn't "vary" nearly as much when using any other extender.

Echo = YMMV.

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 29, 2014 9:59 pm

Erm...
Linksys DMA = YMMV.

Those things crapped out on me all the time, both the 2100 and the 2200, I've had a total of three.
I ended up binning them, I couldn't sell them on with a clear conscience ;)

A much better extender experience can be had with my two Echos it has to be said.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:58 pm

kingwr wrote:How the heck did you ever get into Windows Media Center? I think you'll find that the WMC community, and these forums, have many more early adopters than typical one-shot consumers like yourself.
You talkin' to me?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:06 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
dabretty wrote:Do you also spend vast amounts of time in car enthusiast forums, for makes/models of vehicles that you don't own, talking about how that vehicle is flawed and whatever you drive is better? I can't believe how much time and effort that you spend here, for a guy that claims to not have an Echo (let alone any Ceton product).

No, but if someone asks about a car that I owned in the past, I will certainly tell them about MY experience with that car.

Yeah, but right now nobody cares about your experience with your 1986 Ford Taurus.

There are limits to that concept.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 pm

STC wrote:Erm...
Linksys DMA = YMMV.

Those things crapped out on me all the time, both the 2100 and the 2200, I've had a total of three.

A much better extender experience can be had with my two Echos it has to be said.
Funny. You are the only person who says that. There are lots of people who had similar experiences with the Echo. Very few who had that experience with the Linksys extenders.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:24 pm

adam1991 wrote:Yeah, but right now nobody cares about your experience with your 1986 Ford Taurus.

There are limits to that concept.
Never owned a 1986 Ford Taurus, but I had a 1986 Mercury Cougar. Great car... until my girlfriend wrecked it. Oh, but the things she could do with a basketball and a garden hose... :D

The topic of this discussion isn't a 1986 anything though. The topic here is a 2012/2013 Ceton Echo. The 1986 Ford Taurus was a much better product than the 2012 Ceton Echo.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:10 pm

My personal opinion is the echo is a white elephant. a massive one, promises galore and NOTHING finished not even the MMC software add-on was finished.
that said, if people are dumb enough to buy them still more fool them....
Lee

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat May 31, 2014 1:46 am

STC wrote:Erm...
Linksys DMA = YMMV.

I agree, I just replaced a 2100 that froze up on me with a new echo. I now use two echos two linksys and a xbox which makes since for me in the grand kids room. My Linksys gave good service for quite a few years before giving up. I am glad i had the option of an echo to replace it with. I didn't really want an xbox in the kitchen.

liftn

Post by liftn » Sat May 31, 2014 3:39 am

Have 5 Echo's 3 in kids bedroom 1 in kitchen and in basement. Have had them for 1 1/2 year. Had to reboot computer 5 times. other then that smooth sailing. The kitchen TV we use every night the kids bedroom and basement maybe 2x a week. So for me everything runs great. Recorded TV and Movies. All use Cat6. Almost never have a problem. Actually have more problems with my Verizon stb then the Echo.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sat May 31, 2014 1:16 pm

If you have HBO you'll see plenty of problems with the Echo.

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat May 31, 2014 1:37 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:If you have HBO you'll see plenty of problems with the Echo.
I have HBO, and haven't had any issues, Granted I am not sure how often I watch HBO on the echo, but will take a closer look

nick

Post by nick » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:53 am

Ended up selling my Echo and replacing with a 360. Too many problems for basic WMC. The $99 price for new didn't help resale for $159 beta units.

On the plus side, the 360 works perfect... as expected.

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:37 am

I've always been surprised at the number of people here who basically take the position that you have no right to complain about the lack of updates and bug fixes for the Echo because, essentially, you bought the product as it existed when you paid for it. That seems like a fair argument to make if people were suggesting that they were/are warranted refunds, but it seems like an awfully low-bar if we're talking about simply avoiding Ceton products in the future.

It's seems completely justifiable to value products that will have meaningful ongoing support and development higher than those that will remain static, bugs and all. For a variety of reasons, on-going support agreements are rare in the consumer space. When they do exist, they're fairly vague and have more to do with support than improvements. Still, companies have both implicitly and explicitly encouraged people to buy their products with some vague commitment to on-going improvements. And I, for one, will accept these vague commitments based on their reputation and previous track record.

Obviously, if I buy something and improvements never pan out I can't justifiably demand a refund (unless, perhaps, something is explicitly promised). But it seems entirely reasonable (to me, at least) to factor those failures in to future buying decisions and value their products correspondingly lower.

If I were to go out today and buy into a new DVR system, sort sort of commitment to meaningful on-going support would be pretty high on my priority list. Many of these aren't exactly cheap systems, and I'd want to be able to use it for quite some time. I got quite a bit of use out of my SageTV setup, which I've now been using for 11 years. I don't necessarily expect to be able to do that again, but I would be looking for something that would likely provide bug fixes and some feature improvements over about a 5-year time-frame. Obviously no company could commit to that, but I would do research to try to find something that's likely to provide that level of support.

It's too bad what's happened to Ceton. I don't see their consumer business recovering, although maybe they'll manage to stay afloat due to their commercial/hospitality side. Some things were bad luck on their part, although I think they started this with the pretty risky decision to use a SoC vendor with an unproven track record in the CE/multimedia space. It's particularly odd they went down such a risky route given that they had (apparently) been burned by Intel (I believe a prototype Echo used an Atom SoC but then Intel basically lost interest in playing in this space).

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:56 am

It's not just Ceton or the Echo. It's everything.

When did we become a nation of idiots and whiners expecting that big business would "take care of us" as they shoved slop out the door?

We buy stuff today that doesn't work, with the expectation that "they'll support it and fix it later". Meanwhile, big business is laughing all the way to the bank.

Here's an idea: expect that the product is nothing more than what it is when you get it in your hands. If it doesn't work, don't buy it. Let them fix it first and THEN sell it.

Oh, but then we wouldn't get our shiny toys that make us as a nation so happy.

You are naive if you expect anyone to continue to upgrade, update, or fix consumer electronics on an ongoing basis just to make you happy. For reference, see the Mitsubishi Promise Module--and see how consumers didn't learn their lesson, and now Samsung is trying to foist the same thing onto the world today.

[Moderator note: off-topic comments in this thread removed]