Need a new laptop- what do you think of this one?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need a new laptop- what do you think of this one?

Post by makryger » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:55 am

My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:28 pm

I carry a 13 and think it's the best compromise of size and screen real estate. Asus has a pretty descent track record in terms of build quality. I'm eyeing those as well for when my XPS M1330 finally dies.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:28 am

Well, I ordered one. I'm quite excited. I've never felt that my laptop has needed to be "faster"- everything is pretty instantaneous for me (I don't do a lot of gaming or intensive video editing or the likes), but this one should be about 4x faster than what i have right now. I really like the form factor, and my current laptop is on its last breath. It's basically a macbook air for those of us who don't feel like jumping on the bandwagon. Although when you add up all the costs (including sales tax), I'll be saving almost $500 by going with a Windows Laptop.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 am

I just checked out the specs, and wow, really nice!
-Looks like you are going to have fun with it.

Nice buy Mr.M :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 pm

So I was so impressed with how the Asus UX31 appeared on paper, I ended up buying it. It just arrived today, and the form factor, the clarity of the screen, the amazing battery life and the performance have all colored me impressed.

The only problem is that there are some issues that I don't know if I'll be able to overcome. First off, the touchpad is really off. If I try to do something sensitive, it doesn't necessarily move, and if I try to do something fast, I almost always overshoot. The trend-setting 1600x900 screen I thought would be a benefit, but instead, everything is so small that it makes using the touchpad even more difficult. I installed the most recent touchpad driver, and that didn't make anything particularly better. I've already had some issues with resting my palm on the touchpad that have caused clicks that shouldn't have clicked. (I've tried playing around with that setting too.)

Secondly, I'm not sure how I feel about the button layout. I'm trying to be acutely aware that my previous computer had a different layout and so I need to get used to some features, however one thing that really bothers me is that there is no 'home' or 'end' button. I use those functions often for selecting text.

Thirdly, I was disappointed to learn (Before I bought) that it would not function with my 5 GHz wifi. But it was something I would certainly live with if the speed was still up to par. (After all, I've survived years without it). But then I discovered that the wifi was still a bit flakey- while my old laptop is getting my full speed, this one was only get a fifth of the speed it should have.

Finally, I've noticed that the power connected isn't working perfectly. It doesn't seem solidly made, and when I fiddle with it a bit, the light changes, indicating that its not connecting anymore.

I know I'm only pointing out the flaws, but thats just what im concerned with. Otherwise, its a wonderful computer. But I need someone to convince me that these problems aren't enough to send it back- because I REALLY need a new laptop. My old one has a fan that makes noises, the battery lasts for a whole one hour, and it heats up to almost 100 degrees!

What should I do?!

STC

Post by STC » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:34 am

How's it going with the beast?

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:38 am

That good eh?! ;)

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Haha... i actually ended up returning it. I really wanted to like the machine, as it was gorgeous. But I couldn't get over some of the aspects of the computer, particularly the typing and touchpad. I'm going to wait and see what people say about the Toshiba Z830. Sounds like it could be promising. Plus its got WiDi and probably has HDMI-CEC!

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Yeah I read that typing was 'orrible on it... Oh well, good luck with your next hunt.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:35 pm

I have had 2 Toshiba Laptops over the years.. Both have been excellent. Did you end up getting one?
newfiend~

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:56 pm

newfiend wrote:I have had 2 Toshiba Laptops over the years.. Both have been excellent. Did you end up getting one?
newfiend~
The one i am looking at- the Toshiba Z830/Z835- is just starting to make its round on the review circuit. Don't think its available to buy yet. There are a lot of things I like about it, but a few issues as well I'd need to explore before I make a final decision. I'll keep you posted.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Have you considered the MacAir 13 128 Mr.M? Whack Windees on it. Buy a Sata3 SSD from OWC.
If you want thin, this has to be the nicest IMO. Build quality is excellent.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:28 am

Sorry, but I just can't buy an apple device. Once you buy one, then suddenly you're like, "oh, i should use icloud!". Then you realize its just so easy to add an ipad! Then you start buying all these apps! Then you need a new phone, and you're like "oh, I already have all these apps,I should get an iphone!" Then you start buying tv shows for your phone in the iTunes store. Then you realize you can stream them to an apple tv, so you buy one of those too. And then I realize I don't need media center. I can't handle that.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:27 am

Do you like to eat a certain food?

I don't class myself as an applychap (tm), but I do enjoy the design and build quality of certain apple products. I just bought a MacAir for a buddy to configure and I have to say I am blown away.
I nuked Lion, threw on Win7 and and I'm loving every second of use. It's a joy to use, the track pad, keyboard, screen, weight, style ....

I must insist you try using one for a while.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:36 am

Did you check out this review Mr.M?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/18/tosh ... 35-review/

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:43 am

Gonna make it to the best buy on sunday, i'll check it out then. Unless I find something completely terrible, I'll probably get it. It really is an impressive price... $799, plus I'll use a BB 10% off coupon, plus a $10 rewardzone certificate, plus a random $10 gift card i've had lying around for years...that'll bring the price down to something like $700 before tax!

STC

Post by STC » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:29 am

They look great!
Packed with stuff, good res, battery life, wow...

I shall await your review!