Live TV on xbox extender in wrong aspect ratio

Ozzyhead

HTPC Specs: Show details

Live TV on xbox extender in wrong aspect ratio

Post by Ozzyhead » Thu May 22, 2014 12:53 am

2 xbox's in my home, hooked up with hdmi cables both have the same issue when streaming live tv through media center (via ceton 6 channel cable tuner): the aspect ratio seems to be in 4:3 and not 16:9. No matter which way I zoom through media center on the xbox (pressing the "i" button on the remote, etc...), or set the format on my tv (zoom,full,normal, etc...), the live tv picture looks like crap and is always cut off somewhere, or has black bars. Yet, if I record the same show, and play it back - it plays perfectly, and looks awesome. What am I doing wrong? I've searched the internet and can't find any answers. Media center itself looks great on the xbox. Tiles fit perfectly, the guide looks great, it is just live tv.

I've tried every setting on my htpc to no avail. I've configured the main monitor in every different way I can think of, hoping it would somehow stream to my xbox's in a better format.

Has anyone else had these issues?

signcarver

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by signcarver » Thu May 22, 2014 4:40 am

Make sure you are viewing the correct channel... on many cable systems you have to tune to a channel that adds 1000 or 700 to the base channel for the hd version... if you are scheduling recordings sometimes people have an HD preferred setting where WMC will tune the HD channel. It has been years since I have seen this behavior on recorded items but at one time I remember some negotiations based on network conditions as to how the content was streamed but I thought that was using dlna not WMC. My understanding that TWCs implementation is pushing the hd channel out in the channel map for the sd channel but there has been some backlash on that since that prevents a user from tuning SD where they should be able to get it if they want.