Logitech Harmony Link: Your phone/iDevice=> Harmony Remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Logitech Harmony Link: Your phone/iDevice=> Harmony Remote

Post by makryger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:08 pm

See the review by our old friend Ben Drawbaugh....
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/11/logi ... nk-review/

I asked the question in the engadget forum, but I thought I'd bring it up here too:

Maybe it's just me- but do any logitech harmony actually interact with HTPCs without going through IR? No, I'm not talking about programming your harmony remote or setting up macros... I'm talking about the logitech device telling the computer to navigate, enter, play, pause, etc.? Logitech certainly has the technology- they make wireless keyboards and mice for goodness sake... but I don't see any indication that the harmony remotes can send commands to a computer without IR?...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Not to my knowledge.. They make an RF remote that will control other devices though. If you want a RF remote the DELL branded Gyration remote uses RF instead if IR.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:22 pm

makryger wrote:See the review by our old friend Ben Drawbaugh....

I asked the question in the engadget forum, but I thought I'd bring it up here too:

Maybe it's just me- but do any logitech harmony actually interact with HTPCs without going through IR? No, I'm not talking about programming your harmony remote or setting up macros... I'm talking about the logitech device telling the computer to navigate, enter, play, pause, etc.? Logitech certainly has the technology- they make wireless keyboards and mice for goodness sake... but I don't see any indication that the harmony remotes can send commands to a computer without IR?...
And I don't understand why no wifi control of htpc/avrs etc. And/or bluetooth for HTPCs

I have a couple of harmony ir devices, a couple rf/ir devices, the mini dinovo bluetooth keyboard and they are a great product (well setup, can't copy a 900 to 1100, and the software sometimes) but overall a great product when setup.

The sell the squeezebox duet with wifi controller (which I have had for years)and it works perfectly, why not combine wifi and ir, or wifi, rf and ir?

Jeff

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Glitchy wrote:

And I don't understand why no wifi control of htpc/avrs etc. And/or bluetooth for HTPCs

I have a couple of harmony ir devices, a couple rf/ir devices, the mini dinovo bluetooth keyboard and they are a great product (well setup, can't copy a 900 to 1100, and the software sometimes) but overall a great product when setup.

The sell the squeezebox duet with wifi controller (which I have had for years)and it works perfectly, why not combine wifi and ir, or wifi, rf and ir?

Jeff
If control over IP is what you want it can be done already with Eventghost and Android.

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 am

Venom51 wrote:
Glitchy wrote:

Jeff
If control over IP is what you want it can be done already with Eventghost and Android.
I realize there are ways to accomplish contrrol over wifi, etc. I've just got to the point where I just want things to work without a science project. Hour or two, okay, learning, downloads, betas, un supported (or supported) but more layers and maintenance, nah, just want to pay, set it up and have it working "almost" like a consumer device, well that is the dream!