TV "Static" after TV shut off for a few hours

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
golfdude

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV "Static" after TV shut off for a few hours

Post by golfdude » Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 am

PCIe 6 with latest beta firmware - it seems it is happening every night now where if i have the TV off for X amount of hours, when i go to turn the tv back on all i get is tv "static" .. i cant get the static screen to go away at all and i'm forced to do a hard reboot.. and no i cant give a diagnostic file of it when the entire screen is static and wont go to the desktop..

any idea what could be causing the static almost every night now?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:10 am

I got that a couple of times when I first jumped into this 3 years ago.

But it went away pretty quickly. I'm trying to remember if I did anything specific.

Anyway, this has to do with the HDMI handshake between computer and TV. Let me think...I know I did something...

I do seem to remember that I discovered I was able to make the static go away without a hard reboot. It might have been as simple as switching through the inputs on the TV and rolling right back to HDMI, and all was well. Try that--at least switch out of HDMI and then right back.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:45 pm

You can also try picking up a keyboard and pressing the Windows logo button to see if the task bar and start menu appears.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue May 20, 2014 4:23 pm

I had HDMI issues running my HTPC through my receiver to the TV. Only a reboot would fix it. I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GEFEN-EXT-H ... 2a3b3d37f3

I've not had a problem since.

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Tue May 20, 2014 10:57 pm

could it be the hdmi cable itself? or is it more likely the hdmi port on the pc?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:08 am

Did you at least try changing inputs on the TV (as suggested in post #2) or pressing the Windows logo key on the keyboard?

If the HDMI cable works sometimes, it will work all the time (unless there's a loose connection and the problem occurs when you wiggle the cable, or if it works at a lower bitrate like 720p60, but fails at a higher bitrate like 1080p60).

Nobody is suggesting that there is a problem with the physical HDMI port on the PC. The problem lies in the fact that PC video adapter manufacturers didn't really design them to handle TV displays, A/V receivers, and HDCP.

So, try the suggestions you've been given, and reply back with "I tried X, and Y happened."

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 am

so i tried changing the inputs and it didnt do anything.. i tried the windows key on the keyboard and ctrl-alt-del'ing the system and nothing happened.. stayed on static... forced to hard reboot..

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Do you leave live TV playing when you turn off the TV? If so, try pressing STOP before you turn off the TV.

If that doesn't help, try installing HdmiYo. Then, the next time it happens try pressing the keyboard keys that cause HdmiYo to reset the HDMI connection. I think the default key combo is CTRL+SPACE, and you can change it in the HdmiYo settings.

If HdmiYo solves the problem, come back here for help in automating HdmiYo.

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Thu May 22, 2014 8:12 pm

would it still record a show even after i hit stop?

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Thu May 22, 2014 8:39 pm

If it is a scheduled recording, yes. If you had started it by hitting Record, no.

The graphical interface of Media Center does not need to be running for scheduled recordings to occur.

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 am

this time i caught it doing it really fast..

about 30 mins before this happened, my htpc made a sound like something got disconnected, which resulted in my tuning adapter light blinking, but tv was still working.. the tv was shut off for less than 5 minutes, turned back on and instant static.. its refusing to accept anything on the usb ports, like nothing is plugged into them so i cant do anything involving a keyboard except a hard reboot..

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:22 pm

jaimeknapp wrote:If it is a scheduled recording, yes. If you had started it by hitting Record, no.
^That is incorrect. It doesn't matter if you pressed the Record button, or if it is a scheduled recording. It will continue to record even if you press Stop. You can stop an ad-hoc recording by pressing the Record button twice. Pressing the Stop button does not stop an ad-hoc recording.
jaimeknapp wrote:The graphical interface of Media Center does not need to be running for scheduled recordings to occur.
^That is correct.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:27 pm

golfdude wrote:this time i caught it doing it really fast..

about 30 mins before this happened, my HTPC made a sound like something got disconnected, which resulted in my tuning adapter light blinking, but tv was still working.. the tv was shut off for less than 5 minutes, turned back on and instant static.. its refusing to accept anything on the usb ports, like nothing is plugged into them so i cant do anything involving a keyboard except a hard reboot..
You should disable selective USB suspend.

Login as an administrator user. Go to Control Panel -> Power. You may need to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable."

Click the "Change plan settings" link next to the currently-selected power plan (usually "Balanced").

Click "Change advanced settings". The advanced settings dialog should appear. You may need to click the "Change settings that are unavailable" link again. Under "USB settings" -> "USB selective suspend", choose "disable".

Click OK.

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Fri May 23, 2014 6:08 pm

those options were long been changed to those options when ceton needed to fix another issue i had...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Check settings in BIOS to make sure there is no power saving option set which would turn off your USB ports.

Also, try pressing Stop before you turn off the TV. I'm not convinced that the USB ports are related to your no-video problem.