WD Purple HDD

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Jimmersd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Jimmersd » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:19 am

mike_ekim wrote:Allframe is just the name of the firmware. See here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/surveillance/

My interpretation of the marketing blurb: if you don't have a host controller with Allframe support, then a WD Purple HDD will not give you Allframe benefits.
Agreed. But that feature shouldn't decrease the usefulness of the Purple drive when used as an AV recording drive. You're just not able to access this feature.

I have asked WD support if the Purple reverts to SilkStream when not on an AllFrame adapter. I'm curious to know this.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:45 pm

People seem to be hung up on the idea that the Purple is intended for 'some streaming video storage' and think the Purple will be beneficial in their HTPC because their HTPC records video. The HDD is one piece in a larger system puzzle, and putting a Purple in an HTPC seems like using a piece from the wrong puzzle. The Purple will be 'good enough' in the sense that any modern HDD is 'good enough' but the Purple won't provide the benefits that people imagine. People will be paying a $10 premium for a Purple rated for 300,000 load/unload cycles vs Red's 600,000. The Purple is designed for constant use scenarios such as security and the specs seem to reflect that.

Consider this marketing blurb:
"AllFrame reduces video interruptions that commonly occur when desktop hard drives are incorrectly used as storage in security systems." The takeaway point here is that security systems have different requirements and different hardware/software/firmware and thus a different HDD can be beneficial in security systems.

A HTPC is not a security system and it doesn't have the needs of a security system; nor does it have the hardware and software that can take advantage of a security system HDD. From what I can tell, using a Purple in a HTPC (unless the HTPC is specifically built to take advantage of it) is just another example of a HDD being incorrectly used for the application. Again, the Purple will be 'good enough' but if someone is researching the best performing HDD or the most cost effective HDD they should not pick the Purple based on features that their system can't use.
Jimmersd wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:Allframe is just the name of the firmware. See here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/surveillance/

My interpretation of the marketing blurb: if you don't have a host controller with Allframe support, then a WD Purple HDD will not give you Allframe benefits.
Agreed. But that feature shouldn't decrease the usefulness of the Purple drive when used as an AV recording drive. You're just not able to access this feature.

I have asked WD support if the Purple reverts to SilkStream when not on an AllFrame adapter. I'm curious to know this.
What features do you get without Allframe? Based on WDs information I can't see how a purple can be better than either a Red (for NAS) or Green (low power).

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 am

Just a quick reply to say that I have replaced my recording drive with a WD Video. I have communicated with WD regarding the differences betwen the Video and the Purple yet they haven't been able to give guidance on why retailers are selling the Purple as a replacement for the the Video if they really aren't. Got the feeling they just got tired of fielding questions.

But I will be very specific here. The Video works **MUCH! MUCH!** better than my old WD Green as a recording drive. Glad I made the change. Gone are the burps, hickups and general flakyness on day to day use.

So I for one, highly recommend the WD Video drive as a HTPC recording drive.

CBO

Post by CBO » Wed May 20, 2015 1:04 am

Western Digital Purple Drives are stated to be designed for nvr usage. I wonder if anyone thinks it will lend itself well for HTPC recording. What are the differences between recording the camera streams and TV streams?

[Moderator note: topic merged; please search before posting]

Limaweb

Post by Limaweb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Im planing to get a wd purple 1 TB to be atached to a satalite decoder to record live tv, timeshift and also transfer movies from my pc into it.
I been reading a lot, but would like to know if wd purple will be my best bet for this domestic pvr use.
I undestand wd purple is desing for surviance, but would like to hear if someone is using wd av-gp for this purpouse therefore purple will be ok as its just an upgrade of this model. Or on the contrary wd av-gp for this domestic one hd conected to a pvr will be sufficient.

Many thanks

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:32 am

Limaweb wrote:Im planing to get a wd purple 1 TB to be atached to a satalite decoder to record live tv, timeshift and also transfer movies from my PC into it.
I been reading a lot, but would like to know if wd purple will be my best bet for this domestic pvr use.
I undestand wd purple is desing for surviance, but would like to hear if someone is using wd av-gp for this purpouse therefore purple will be ok as its just an upgrade of this model. Or on the contrary wd av-gp for this domestic one hd conected to a pvr will be sufficient.

Many thanks
Good question... I've stuck with the RED series. I just purchased six 6TB Reds and put them in RAID5. So far so good. It's a total of 30TB in RAID5 but not all is for WMC. Most of it is for PLEX.

The Purples are also designed for RAID. If 1TB is all your wanting why not try to find one of the previous series AV-GP drives? They're truly designed for STB use.

Limaweb

Post by Limaweb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:17 am

Many thanks kd6icz, for confirm that wd purple is the best choice for STB use. As I mentioned before i will conect it solely to the STB, with the exception to download movies onto it from my PC. I read that writing times are very good, but no so the read times. Will this affect when just playing a movie.

Regarding purchasing the wd av-gp, that was my first tought for just one 1TB for STB use, but funny enough, they cost the same if not more.

Amazon.es
WD PURPLE 1 TB € 60
WD AV GP 1 TB €70

Amazon.co.uk
WD PURPLE 1 TB £ 47
WD AV GP 1 TB £ 46

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:21 am

I am still using the same drive that I installed in 2014 and it is doing just fine.

Limaweb

Post by Limaweb » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:08 am

Jimmersd wrote:I am still using the same drive that I installed in 2014 and it is doing just fine.
Thanks for reply. In your previous post of 2014, you mention WD video.
What drive is it
WD AV
WD AV-GP
WD AV-25

WD AV now have a good afordable price where WD AV-GP are mostly same price of newly WD PURPLE

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:26 pm