Anyone know where I can buy a URC-8820N remote?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone know where I can buy a URC-8820N remote?

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Several years ago, before I got into Media Center, I bought a Universal Remote Control (One For All) URC-8820N based on a suggestion in a post at another forum (I think it was either the JP1 forum or Hi Fi Remote forum). The reason I bought it was so that I could program certain buttons on it using JP1, and then "teach" those commands to my old Sony Remote Commander.

Recently, I decided to use that remote in one of my bedrooms. It turns out that it works perfectly for what I needed, and I'd like to buy another one. Unfortunately, when I search for URC-8820N, all that I find is the URC-8820... which is a completely different remote.

Does anyone know where I can buy a URC-8820N?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon May 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Those are really hard to find these days, having been discontinued years ago. But there are hundreds of JP1 remotes. What are your requirements? Perhaps we can recommend a substitute.The RCA RCRP05B (or BR) is also JP1 and has a similar layout and is 8 device (internally at least) and is cheap and readily available most anywhere. The Vizio VUR8, available on ebay, is also JP1 and adds backlighting. Several cable remotes like Atlas, Comcast and others are also cheap, widely available and JP1, but usually lack a learning feature and backlighting. If you strike out, PM me. I have boxes full of JP1 remotes I've collected over the years (LINK). The 8820 never appealed to me though, so I don't have any of those.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:11 pm

The RCA RCRP05BR looks OK. I bought one on Amazon for $13.46 with free Prime shipping.

Thanks for the suggestion.