Echo vs other extenders

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rldev

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo vs other extenders

Post by rldev » Fri May 16, 2014 4:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone can chime in here. I need to use a quiet extender for my bedroom. I have an old Linksys DMA2100 laying around. Would an Echo be an upgrade the the Linksys and HP Legacy Extenders?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:06 pm

In my experience, the Linksys is much more stable and reliable than the Echo.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Fri May 16, 2014 5:01 pm

I only ever used my Linksys DMA2100s for SD MPEG2 tv recordings and DVD rips, but they were better at playback of these files than the Echo. As long as you leave the DMA2100 and your computer on 24 x 7, it is fairly stable.

rldev

Post by rldev » Fri May 16, 2014 5:31 pm

I just reset my 2100. Does anyone know what the last firmware was for this unit? I have 1.1.12

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri May 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Everybody seems to have different experiences with Echo. Some have major problems, others have virtually none. My 4 Echoes have had no problems (other than the zoom bug). The main reason I prefer Echo to older extenders is that only Echo will wake my HTPC. With others, you have to roll your own WOL in a router with custom firmware. If you leave your HTPC on 24x7, then it's not an issue. Apparently since you've had a Linksys for years, this isn't an issue for you.

Having said that, I'll probably replace a couple of my Echoes with Xboxes again since they will soon be able to stream Netflix and other services without a Gold subscription. But I'll only do that in rooms where the size and noise isn't an issue.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:58 pm

I have been using Win7 MCE + 2 linksys MCX + HDHomerun Dual for about 6 years without much issue other than MCX plug-in limitations such as

No Netflix play: solved by chromecast
MKK play back: solved by shark codec
mobile streaming: solved by Sling Solo

I didn't follow the latest technology and am curious about what the latest products offer. Should I keep my current set up? Or is it time to upgrade so enjoy the new technology.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:33 pm

My solutions, while not much more current than yours are:

Netflix: Sony streaming BD player
MVK: LAV filters
Mobile Streaming: MB3 or Remote Potato

However, in your case, since you have no protected content, you don't need extenders or WMC at all. Any box that runs XBMC or Plex or MB3 will do it all. Even a Raspberry Pi will work well. These days, most are using little NUCs or similar. But just using Plex, even your Chromecast should be able to stream just about everything. A cheap subscription service like Tablo might also be a good option for you since it was designed for streaming to any device. So you're definitely due for an upgrade IMO. Those of us with protected content (from cable TV) are still stuck with extenders.

Here's a good resource for exploring other alternatives: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... computers/

stuppid

Post by stuppid » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:30 pm

I currently am using three echos and one Samsung extender. One I converted my tuner to Ceton Infinitv pci4 the Samsung has intermittent HDCP errors. The problem could be my television, however I do not have another Samsung set to test it on. Otherwise the Echos are much faster than the Samsung extender. I only use live/ recorded tv, music, and My movies for dvd rips in dvr-ms, no MKV. Also the Samsung has a little trouble with the size of my music library( around 50,000 songs).

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 pm

stuppid wrote:I currently am using three echos and one Samsung extender. One I converted my tuner to Ceton Infinitv pci4 the Samsung has intermittent HDCP errors. The problem could be my television, however I do not have another Samsung set to test it on. Otherwise the Echos are much faster than the Samsung extender. I only use live/ recorded tv, music, and My movies for dvd rips in dvr-ms, no MKV. Also the Samsung has a little trouble with the size of my music library( around 50,000 songs).
Cool. I didn't realize Samsung ever made an extender. What's the model number?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:44 pm

The Samsung extender only works with certain Samsung TV's, which are no longer available new.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:01 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:The Samsung extender only works with certain Samsung TV's, which are no longer available new.
I found it: MR-00EA1 MediaLive Digital Media Adapter. I wonder if these ever show up on ebay.

josim

Post by josim » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 pm

mdavej,
These extenders from Samsung are only suppose to work on Samsung TVs manufactured in 2008 with Anynet+ HDMI connection.
I have one I got from china a couple years ago for about $60. I think the DMA2100 work a little better. Although, this connects to the back of the TV and uses the IR reciever of the TV to control the WMX.