Overall setup question

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Embiggens

HTPC Specs: Show details

Overall setup question

Post by Embiggens » Wed May 07, 2014 7:15 pm

I currently have an HP Microserver N40L running my WMC. It runs headless and serves 2 TV's via 360 extenders. It is basically solely dedicated to this task and does well enough. When both extenders are in use, which is rare, the CPU is nearly pegged but performance seems ok- basically, it can do 2 extenders but I doubt a 3rd. We do occasionally have 2 extender sessions running so as a result I'm not comfortable adding any additional utility programs that use *any* cpu, like crashplan and the like due.

I'm adding a new computer to my setup, because I want to be able to serve some of my media via plex, perform some encoding tasks, and have a NAS to handle backups for the rest of our computers. My question is whether I should switch WMC duties over to this new computer. It will have a lot more horsepower (will be an i5 or i7 haswell) but will also be sharing duties. I don't envision ever running WMC on more than 2 extenders so that's not a driving issue.

I'm debating 2 possible setups:
Setup 1- New Haswell computer is the "horsepower machine", N40L becomes a dedicated NAS:
Programs for the new guy:
WMC (with mediabrowser client and recordedtvhd)
Mediabuddy
Plex
Mediabrowser

Programs for Microserver-
Crashplan
Drivepool

or setup 2- New Haswell computer is the "NAS with Horsepower", N40L stays a dedicated WMC machine:
New haswell computer becomes the NAS, programs-
Mediabuddy
Plex
Mediabrowser
Crashplan
Drivepool

Programs for Microserver-
WMC (with mediabrowser client and recordedtvhd)

Anybody run into a similar situation and what were your conclusions? I feel setup 1 would be the 'cleanest' in my situation but I'm just worried about the idea that it's best to keep WMC machines dedicated to that task.