infiniTV PCIe 6 vs HDHR Prime in Mapping

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
thedude2

HTPC Specs: Show details

infiniTV PCIe 6 vs HDHR Prime in Mapping

Post by thedude2 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Can anybody compare the pci-e to the hd prime? Specifically in mapping and reliability? I have the prime but several different devices uses it. I'm not running it through one wmc host and extenders like most and it constantly has problems remapping a tuner to computers after its switched. I bought the ceton pci-e to put in the computer I use the most, I figured at least it would never have that problem. But I just found out it's various problems with Win 8, so now I'm debating on returning it. I had the 1st 4 tuner ceton when it was first released and remember it not being that reliable even in the same computer. I was hoping that things had changed.

I did buy another prime too, haven't opened it either was going to return this weekend, before buying the ceton so I also have that option as well. I figured 6 tuners on prime would alleviate the mapping problems but then found a deal on the ceton and figured it would be best.

Both are unopened, just need to figure out which to return.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:42 am

Keep the Prime(s). The main difference would be the number of tuners but two or even three primes even needing multiple cable cards and multiple TAs are more stable than the Cetons at this point assuming your network is configured correctly.

1 - Channel switching is quicker.
2 - DLNA DTCP with devices that can support it like some TVs and the PS3.
3 - true dynamic network tuner sharing of all tuners across all media centers and DLNA devices.
4 - Its a Network device. So if a TA is needed the TA and incoming cable lines can be nicely hidden away in the attic or utility closet instead of being right next to the PC.

Only reason to go with the Ceton pcie is if your network has major issues. [I realize the ceton ETH6 also has #3 and #4, but as someone that owns it as well as 2 primes, there are still some issues with it as well...]
Time is on my side.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:10 pm

thedude2 wrote:it constantly has problems remapping a tuner to computers after its switched.
Can you explain what the sentence above means? I don't know what you mean by "remapping" nor "switched". So, please explain what do you mean by remapping, and what do you mean by switched.

[Moderator note: off-topic comments moved here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 560#p74560]

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:57 pm

What do you mean by "mapping" - there is no mapping with a PCIe InfiniTV on Windows 8, so that's a non-issue from the InfiniTV standpoint.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

scyto

Post by scyto » Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 pm

TeddyR wrote:Keep the Prime(s). The main difference would be the number of tuners but two or even three primes even needing multiple cable cards and multiple TAs are more stable than the Cetons at this point assuming your network is configured correctly.

1 - Channel switching is quicker.
2 - DLNA DTCP with devices that can support it like some TVs and the PS3.
3 - true dynamic network tuner sharing of all tuners across all media centers and DLNA devices.
4 - Its a Network device. So if a TA is needed the TA and incoming cable lines can be nicely hidden away in the attic or utility closet instead of being right next to the PC.

Only reason to go with the Ceton PCIe is if your network has major issues. [I realize the Ceton ETH6 also has #3 and #4, but as someone that owns it as well as 2 primes, there are still some issues with it as well...]
I have an ETH6 - it is rock solid. Only time I have an issue is when I reboot my router (which the ETH6 is connected to) seems to necessitate a reboot of WMC. I used to get some stuttering and pixelation. these disappeared when I moved to an NVidia card.