Ceton ITV 6 ETH detection on network speed

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
TeddyR

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton ITV 6 ETH detection on network speed

Post by TeddyR » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:12 pm

For the ETH6, other than give the unit a static address or reservation via DHCP; is there anything that can be done to make the detection of the device quicker? Even with the ceton diag tool it seems that the device is taking a while to be detected. Enough time that on a system with both ETH and SD devices enabled with the ETH having priority in the order on a channel, WMC seems to timeout on the ETH and ends up using the SD devices since they respond quicker. The ETH only get used if all the SD devices are in use.

Any thoughts if there is a way to tell the driver the address of the ETH6 to connect to; or if setting the device to a lower numbered or higher numbered ip address on the subnet would help in speeding up the detection of the device.

PS: There are no firewall/AV issues on this machine. The web interface responds well.
- Windows 7 x64.
- Charter Cable
- Cisco Cablecard/TA
Time is on my side.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm

TeddyR wrote: speeding up the detection of the device.
Not sure this is what you are looking for, but, it does speed up the acquisition of an IP. I knocked 30 seconds off the Echo boot time by enabling STP in the switch. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 054#p40054

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:41 pm

@crash2009: The device is already booted and "ready" with a DHCP reserved IP address..

The network works pretty well with all other devices on it...

The delay seems to be in the driver discovering the tuner on the network when trying to connect to the tuner. The ceton diagnostics tool can take up to a minute to "find" the tuner; once found, all settings seem to indicate that there are no issues with the TA or the CableCard.

One other item (hopefully is not the issue since it has an adverse effect on OTHER devices when enabled) is that I have igmp snooping disabled on the switch (ironically, the device that needed that the most is the Echo; wiith it enabled it may find the WMC system less than %20 of the time, with it disabled it finds it ~%90 of the time without needing a reboot of the echo).
Time is on my side.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:40 am

What make and model is your switch?

The feature I am suggesting you enable is in the STP section of your switch configuration. My Dell Powerconnect5324 calls it Fastlink. Cisco calls it Portfast. Netgear calls it Edge Port. Your switch may call it something else. My point is that if Fastlink, Portfast, Edge Port, or whatever your switch calls it, is not enabled the connection to your ETH is automatically delayed for 50 seconds.

It's worth a shot, apparently it helps DHCP. You can always turn it off if it doesn't do anything for you.

http://www.symantec.com/business/suppor ... =HOWTO6019

Sea3

Post by Sea3 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:09 pm

I don't know if this applicable, but I observed that the tuner was found faster after I disabled the BT network adapter for the "Personal Area Network".

Are all interfaces queried and will it wait until there have been responses from all interfaces or until a timeout?