Adding a second HDHR Prime

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
JanS48

HTPC Specs: Show details

Adding a second HDHR Prime

Post by JanS48 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:27 am

Greetings All
Newbie here, I currently have an HDHR Prime with a CableCard, I just bought a 2nd one I'd like to setup for QAM channels. My cable provider is FIOS which seems to have quite a few QAM channels (which I can tune from a Hauppaug tuner). How do I setup the 2nd HDHR Prime without disrupting the 1st one?
I don't suppose it's possible to have the 2nd HDHR Prime access the CableCard in the 1st?

TIA
Jan

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:49 pm

First, just to make sure you understand... all of the digital channels you receive from your cable provider are QAM. Some may be encrypted, and some may not. I don't know if FIOS encrypts everything or not. The non-encrypted QAM channels are called "Clear QAM" by most people.

Yes, you can setup your second HRHR Prime for Clear QAM. After you connect the new tuner to your network, run the HD HomeRun Setup program. After it scans for tuners, click on the Tuners tab. You should see all of your HD HomeRun tuners listed. The numbers listed before the dash are the last 8 digits of the tuner's MAC address, which is printed on a sticker. The sticker is located on the tuner itself. On the three new tuners (the ones without a CableCARD), choose a "Source Type" of "Digital Cable". Click OK.

Next, go into Windows Media Center and run the TV Setup wizard. It should find all six tuners. It should say that three of them are "Digital Cable" and the other three are "Digital Cable (CableCARD)". Go through the setup process like normal.

If it does not find any ClearQAM channels, that means that all of your channels are encrypted.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm

JanS48 wrote:I don't suppose it's possible to have the 2nd HDHR Prime access the CableCard in the 1st?
No, it isn't.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu May 08, 2014 4:38 pm

JanS48 wrote:Greetings All
Newbie here, I currently have an HDHR Prime with a CableCard, I just bought a 2nd one I'd like to setup for QAM channels. My cable provider is FIOS which seems to have quite a few QAM channels (which I can tune from a Hauppaug tuner). How do I setup the 2nd HDHR Prime without disrupting the 1st one?
I don't suppose it's possible to have the 2nd HDHR Prime access the CableCard in the 1st?

TIA
Jan

Don't bank on ClearQAM being there for long. Verizon took it out here (Buffalo, NY) last year.