New beta firmware candidate for InfiniTV tuners available

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Saml01

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Saml01 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:27 pm

cybrsage wrote:The Echo is a very different beast - Ceton selected the chips used in the system based on what the maker of those chips said they could do but they fibbed about it. Nothing could be done to fix it short of start over from scratch and wait for technology to catch up with them.

As for the InfiniTV, they released a firmware just a few months ago (in this very thread no less) which fixed almost everyone's stability issues; I call that a good support. You cannot blame Ceton for not enabling the ability to do things at home that CableLabs says they are not allowed to enable.
No problem. Then fess up that you released a firmware after which a select amount of cards lost the ability to be upgraded any further and replace the broken cards or work with the users.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Well...they will replace the cards at a discount, or for free (as they did for me) with little hassle.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:36 pm

cybrsage wrote:The Echo is a very different beast - Ceton selected the chips used in the system based on what the maker of those chips said they could do but they fibbed about it. Nothing could be done to fix it short of start over from scratch and wait for technology to catch up with them.
Due diligence or something. I have two Echos I can drop into a box and ship off to someone if they want them. Might be missing a remote.
cybrsage wrote:As for the InfiniTV, they released a firmware just a few months ago (in this very thread no less) which fixed almost everyone's stability issues; I call that a good support. You cannot blame Ceton for not enabling the ability to do things at home that CableLabs says they are not allowed to enable.
I think the recent fuss is about the InfiniTVs having known issues with flashing firmware updates. That's a design issue and Ceton ought to be supporting that problem past their warranty period, especially since the updates were required to fix serious issues. The $35 charge that people reported for Ceton to fix the issue is kind of lame. I have two InfiniTV 4 cards that have flash issues. I never bothered to fix them because I got an InfiniTV 6. Still, it really bothers me that I still have two cards I can't update to fix issues.

Ceton has a decidedly mixed track record. Really stinks that they hitched their success to Microsoft.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:54 am

Due diligence or something. I have two Echos I can drop into a box and ship off to someone if they want them. Might be missing a remote.
I am in need of an echo. I missed the father day sale for $99 and don't see any used for sale. Let me know if your willing to part with a unit.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:07 pm

cwinfield wrote:I am in need of an echo. I missed the father day sale for $99 and don't see any used for sale. Let me know if your willing to part with a unit.
Sorry. They're gone.

Saml01

Post by Saml01 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:59 pm

RyC wrote:Well...they will replace the cards at a discount, or for free (as they did for me) with little hassle.
Yeah? When?

If I could have paid to replace my out of warranty card for the same $35 or similar then I would have taken that option and been infinately happier. Instead, I would have to pay $35 everytime to update my card? How is that fair.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Saml01 wrote:
RyC wrote:Well...they will replace the cards at a discount, or for free (as they did for me) with little hassle.
Yeah? When?

If I could have paid to replace my out of warranty card for the same $35 or similar then I would have taken that option and been infinately happier. Instead, I would have to pay $35 everytime to update my card? How is that fair.
It's not every time. The replacement accepted the latest firmware without any issues.

stuppid

Post by stuppid » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Tried the beta out over the weekend. 100% improvement in all areas. No more subscription required, no more no signal message, channel changes in half of the time. Simply excellent so far. I am vary pleased. PCI 4 tuner.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:38 am

erkotz wrote:
haydongreenbutton wrote:Getting a lot of NO TV SIGNAL messages since installing the new firmware. On a broadcast station no less.

In one case got the message six times (tried all six tuners apparently) and the recording was missed.

Not looking great.
Please revert to the prior firmware and confirm that the issue stops.
So I did revert and my problems disappeared. Last week I reinstalled the now release firmware. I'm now, periodically, getting "Media Center has stopped" messages and the PC is frozen.

I'll open up an issue. Just wanted to share that things aren't perfect.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:18 pm

If your PC is freezing and WMC is crashing, it sounds like your PC has other issues - the InfiniTV firmware for the most part can't cause things like that.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:41 pm

erkotz wrote:If your PC is freezing and WMC is crashing, it sounds like your PC has other issues - the InfiniTV firmware for the most part can't cause things like that.
Yet it seems to.

It's a supportable position and it could be an issue with a certain hardware/software mix that's brought out with this firmware. Hope you guys with experience might spot something that can remedy this.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Saml01 wrote:
cybrsage wrote:As for the InfiniTV, they released a firmware just a few months ago (in this very thread no less) which fixed almost everyone's stability issues; I call that a good support. You cannot blame Ceton for not enabling the ability to do things at home that CableLabs says they are not allowed to enable.
No problem. Then fess up that you released a firmware after which a select amount of cards lost the ability to be upgraded any further and replace the broken cards or work with the users.
I don't work for Ceton. All I can tell you is my experience, which is now positive after so long of it being negative.
haydongreenbutton wrote:I think the recent fuss is about the InfiniTVs having known issues with flashing firmware updates. That's a design issue and Ceton ought to be supporting that problem past their warranty period, especially since the updates were required to fix serious issues. The $35 charge that people reported for Ceton to fix the issue is kind of lame. I have two InfiniTV 4 cards that have flash issues. I never bothered to fix them because I got an InfiniTV 6. Still, it really bothers me that I still have two cards I can't update to fix issues.

Ceton has a decidedly mixed track record. Really stinks that they hitched their success to Microsoft.
Yeah, I see that some people have had problems while others have not. I did not have any problems at all my InfiniTV4 or my Eth6, but my InfitiTV4 was from the very first batch (after the Microsoft guys got theirs) since I was on the preorder list for many months. I still have it, and almost gave up on the Eth6 a few times, but now am happy I did not...it is working great with the new flash.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:57 am

haydongreenbutton wrote:
cybrsage wrote:The Echo is a very different beast - Ceton selected the chips used in the system based on what the maker of those chips said they could do but they fibbed about it.  Nothing could be done to fix it short of start over from scratch and wait for technology to catch up with them.
Due diligence or something. 

I think the recent fuss is about the InfiniTVs having known issues with flashing firmware updates.  That's a design issue and Ceton ought to be supporting that problem past their warranty period, especially since the updates were required to fix serious issues.  The $35 charge that people reported for Ceton to fix the issue is kind of lame.  I have two InfiniTV 4 cards that have flash issues.  I never bothered to fix them because I got an InfiniTV 6.  Still, it really bothers me that I still have two cards I can't update to fix issues.
Same boat here.
The first year of using my iTv4 PCIe was great until the switch to sdv, then the tuning errors started so I started updating FW. After about 4 fw updates over next 2 years of owning my iTv4 it would no longer accept FW updates, (a year ago) it started to not recognize the CableCard/no tuner available and 2 weeks ago stopped recognizing it altogether, so its back in the box. Dead.

Figured I was SOL as far as warranty so I timidly ordered the iTV6 ETH (with free Echo combo) last weekend despite my wife's misgivings and just hooked it up at my home's 42" media panel (Phone/LAN/Cable. All Gigabit/CAT6/RG6) which improved SNR etc. vs PCIe version at TV/PC. One of the first things the directions ask is to do a FW update which has me nervous ( Now on 14.?? Stable? shows as beta on WebPage). Got the new CC paired and the MTR700 TA that I used previously showing up in the diagnostic web page (plugged into the iTV6 ETH).

Everything runs great...when it works (5 tuners on main Win7 PC/3.2Ghz Phenom x4/16gb ram/Gigabyte MB; 1 tuner on Master BR Win7 PC/2.6Ghz Pent.D/4gb ram); 1 Echo in guest BR; 1 Xbox 360/extender in son's room). No lag, pixelation, etc. Channel change times are reasonable, even with everything running. Don't have network tuner drivers loaded either.
Previously on the iTV4 PCIe, whenever I had a power outage/blip (10-20 times a year) or Windows Update reboots main PC (always on/no sleep, etc), I have problems where I either have "no available tuner", can't recognize cablecard, some TA issue or Media Center is asking to "Setup the cablecard" again. When this happens, the only way to get things working seems to be to wipe out/rediscover the tuner configuration via Ceton app and go through the MCE TV setup again (hoping it sees more than 1 tuner).
Yesterday, 2 days into using the iTV6 ETH, I had a power blip/reboot and had to re-setup the tuner on the main PC again, which sucks. Other than buying a couple of UPS's, any thoughts here?
Motherboard drivers are as up to date as the Gigabyte site has (2011) or on a windows update driver version and the iTV6 ETH is on latest "stable" FW.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:40 am

Kind of surprised that I can't edit my own posts, hmm? Anyway, my iTV6 ETH went from 13.5.6.132 to 14.4.6.21 stable? (see attached) and as a reference the iTV4 fw screenshot I was stuck on previously as well as my PC specs if it's relevant.

Currently tuned to NBC HD. Signal Level: 3.1 dBmV, Signal To Noise Level: 37.6 dB (typ.)

MainPc Specs (Built Aug2010):
- Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H v2.0 fw: FF
- AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Ghz AM3 CPU (Unlocked Cores 3 & 4 = X4 B50)
- Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler
- OCZ 16GB DDR3 PC10666 1333MHZ (4 X 4GB) p/n: OCZ3G1333LV8GK CL 9-9-9-20 1.65v
- Visiontek Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5 PCIe
- ASUS 8X Blu Ray/DVD Combo Drive SATA
- Ceton InfiniTv6 ETH Fw: 14.4.6.21 fw (replaced iTV4 PCIe on 7/12/14 with fw fail)
- Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G (OS)
- Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
- Cooler Master Gladiator 600 ATX Case
- OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular Power Suppy
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
- LG 60in Plasma 60PS60 (HDMI-1)

I will add that I have "lurked" around here off and on for awhile and have read many posts/threads from the 'regulars' (STC, Barnabas, Richard1980, scallica )
Attachments
iTV4 FW Fail 5-26-14.JPG
From my iTV4 FW Fail 5-26-14
iTV6 ETH orig FW 7-12-14.JPG
iTV6 ETH orig FW 7-12-14 showing 14.4.6.21 Stable and Beta FW?
Last edited by Mpgrimm2 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Mpgrimm2 wrote:Kind of surprised that I can't edit my own posts, hmm?
Editing is permitted within 1 hour of posting.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Mpgrimm2 wrote:Same boat here.
The first year of using my iTv4 PCIe was great until the switch to sdv, then the tuning errors started so I started updating FW. After about 4 fw updates over next 2 years of owning my iTv4 it would no longer accept FW updates, (a year ago) it started to not recognize the CableCard/no tuner available and 2 weeks ago stopped recognizing it altogether, so its back in the box. Dead.

Figured I was SOL as far as warranty so I timidly ordered the iTV6 ETH (with free Echo combo) last weekend despite my wife's misgivings
Mpgrimm2 wrote:Previously on the iTV4 PCIe, whenever I had a power outage/blip (10-20 times a year) or Windows Update reboots main PC (always on/no sleep, etc), I have problems where I either have "no available tuner", can't recognize cablecard, some TA issue or Media Center is asking to "Setup the cablecard" again.
Wow, that really brings back memories. I had all of those issues until I switched to two HD HomeRun PRIME tuners. I really wonder why you bought an ITV6 after having an experience like that with the ITV4. I never looked back after switching to the HDHRP and I don't miss the ITV4 at all.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:30 pm

I have no idea why you have to set it up after a power outage, I have never had to do that. But who knows what strangeness can happen after a sudden loss of power - especially just a quick blip as those are the most dangerous. I recommend buying a UPS from Staples.com, they have free shipping, too. I ordered several APC UPSs and I ensured all but one of them was able to be wall or ceiling mounted. Now I have a UPS for my FiOS box, one for my Projector, One for my gaming PC, and one large floor mounted one for my AVR, HTPC, and all the assorted electronics that goes with it. The price is cheap (only $264 for all that) and it gives great peace of mind. :)

If you only want one UPS, and it can be floor mounted, I recommend this one. It will be able to handle all your electronics used for the HTPC (router, switch, PC, Ceton, and more).

APC Back-UPS® RS 1000VA 8-Outlet Power-Saving UPS
Item: 852070 Model: BR1000G
http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-RS- ... uct_852070

It comes with their monitoring software and can control your HTPC to shut down if battery power gets too low. I also like how it tells me exactly how much power everything plugged into it uses on a daily basis and how much you spend each day on that power (if you tell it your electricity price). I use 80 cents a day. :) It also looks cool and costs less than $150 and has free shipping.

EDIT: If you want to spend less, you can go with something like this, only $60 and has free shipping.

APC Back-UPS® NS 600VA 8-Outlet Power-Saving UPS
Item: 171432 Model: BN600G
http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-NS- ... uct_171432

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:42 pm

erkotz wrote:If your PC is freezing and WMC is crashing, it sounds like your PC has other issues - the InfiniTV firmware for the most part can't cause things like that.
So far I haven't noticed problems after the July Microsoft updates and updating the Realtek LAN driver. Been a few days and I hadn't gone that long prior... Knock on wood.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:33 am

cybrsage wrote:I have no idea why you have to set it up after a power outage, I have never had to do that. But who knows what strangeness can happen after a sudden loss of power - especially just a quick blip as those are the most dangerous. I recommend buying a UPS...
Amen to that. I use an older/bigger version of the 600VA that you linked to in my A/V rack in the basement, saved my bacon many times.

Even lower in price, CyberPower makes some nice small units that are barely larger than a decent power strip. Many items don't require the VAs (you're not trying to run your TV off it during a power outage for example), but these units will A) help in a lightning storm (higher joule rating the better) and B) allow your HTPC to gracefully shutdown in the event of a power outage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6842102116
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6842102117

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:03 am

@Barnabas, I knew if you saw my post you were going to say something to that affect and respect your thoughts on it. For me it came down to not wanting to run 2 tuners, 2 CableCards, and 2 TA's in my media closet with the HDHRP (just speculation on a 6 tuner anyway). With the iTV4 in my main PC, I was typically on the lower/mid end of signal and snr (had cox cable re-do burial drop to my house 4 times) and was hopeful the ETH would work better next to the amp/splitter (signal/snr much better) us the freebie Echo was a bonus (missed out on the beta) although I found out that it is SOL on win8 which I have licenses to install if I choose to upgrade my pc's (MS's fault apparently?). Either way I have another 2-3 weeks to try it all out and decide if I want to send it back or not. Figured I would give Ceton another shot as it works well for some with HDHRP issues and vice versa.

@cybersage, Thanks for the APC UPS info. I am hoping to only use one in the media closet for the tuner, TA, router/switch, and NAS box and figure if i can get 30mins to1 hour or more of standby it will cover most of my issues, unless there is some sort of MediaCenter/win7/Pc MB/Ceton driver issue that is causing the loss of tuners which has happened even without the PC losing power (I just shut off the tv and A/V receiver normally and have had the issue when turning them back on).
PS. I work for the USPS and would like to take a big dump in front of every staples store I can find. Nothing personal at you for the suggestion.

Also:
Is the 14.4.6.21 Beta and Stable the same FW for the iTV6 ETH even though it was listed twice in my screenshot?