WMC Is Reporting Service Unavailable on ALL Channels

rpammons

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Is Reporting Service Unavailable on ALL Channels

Post by rpammons » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:19 am

My problem is similar to the single channel problem, except it is ALL channels. I have tried what you suggested and worked for that person, but it didn't' work for me. My problem surfaced about the time his did; I wonder whether a Windows update I did between the last success and the first failure may have caused a problem, or switching from Norton to McAfee for my virus protection.

When I go to edit source, it shows two entries for each channel, one associated with each tuner. There are no extra copies.

The long version:
I have been recording using WMC just fine for a couple of months. However it started not recording a few days ago- just leaving a 512KB file with the name, but no video, and apparently does not think it has an input signal.
When I try to watch live TV on WMC to see if WMC is getting the signal, I get the error message "Service Is Not Available. There is currently no TV signal detected for this channel. Channel may be temporarily off the air. Try again later." When a show was supposed to start, the same error message popped up that there was no signal, so it would not be recorded (paraphrasing - the error message was only up for a few seconds).
The TV station(s) are on the air. I am using SiliconDust Homerun ATSC Digital TV tuners (two) and they test out fine. I can watch live TV on them. WMC reports that their signal strength is good. to excellent on all channels.
I ran "Settings/TV/TV Signal/setup TV Signal" on WMC again. It examined TV signals, found the tuners. I configured WMC with the tuners and got a very fast response that WMC was configured with the tuners.
No change - no live TV. I then went into setup again and checked Digital TV antenna signal strength. Good on all channels.
Still no Live TV and the same error message.
I ran "scan for more channels, but it ended with "no channels found" (not "No additional channels found").
I don't know what to do next and would appreciate any help.
Posts on the tuners website didn't help. I tried several of their suggestions (remove WMC eHome files since they might be corrupted), but nothing changed. Spent about two hours with a Microsoft person on my machine. He did a lot of things but nothing has changed. Haven't gone for another attempt yet.
I thought it might be the McAfee load over the weekend, but I uninstalled and re installed. WMC exhibited the same symptoms between uninstall and re-install and after re-install - nothing changed, so that is probably not it.

curtis

Post by curtis » Mon May 26, 2014 10:06 pm

I'd recommend using system restore to go back to a time when it worked as even uninstalling McAfee doesn't actually remove all of its bits and won't fix any system files it might have affected (if it was the issue).

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue May 27, 2014 12:00 am

Just uninstalling is not enough for some AV products. You may have to use the specialized removal tool. For Mcafee try the ones from http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 .

Once uninstalled, reboot and rerun the SD software to reinstall / repair the software install so that the "blocked" drivers/dlls/etc get reinstalled and the firewall rules to allow the communication get reset.
Time is on my side.