Linksys DMA2100 no video only audio in WMC on Win7

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
slowbiscuit

HTPC Specs: Show details

Linksys DMA2100 no video only audio in WMC on Win7

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 am

Anyone seeing their Linksys no longer displaying WMC menus and no video on playback or live TV, or know how this can happen? All of a sudden my only 2100 will boot with video and audio just fine, but when it goes into the WMC menu there is no video just audio. Same when blindly pressing buttons to get into live TV - no video just audio. Powering off/on the box has no effect, and rebooting the HTPC doesn't fix it either. Both of these have been working fine for a couple of years now.

This sounds kind of like an RDP update that has broken legacy extender functionality like we've seen with Win8 - I have a couple of Xboxes and they both work fine so WMC itself is not broken. I'm going to try and revert back to a previous restore point and then try and isolate what changed. Nothing has been added to my HTPC recently (that I know of) other than the normal monthly MS patches.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:07 pm

One thing to try is to connect the composite video out to the TV (if you can) and see if there is video on the composite (but not on the HDMI).

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Well I'm using component, will try HDMI next. But I do get boot video on the Linksys (all the way up to the green button screen saying it's connecting to the PC), it just goes blank when it gets into WMC.

I suppose a hard reset of the Linksys might be next.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Switching to HDMI had no effect, ended up doing a soft factory reset of the box (from the Linksys settings menu) and a re-add of it to WMC and that fixed it.

Very strange, can only chalk this down to cosmic rays flipping the wrong bit in the Linksys.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 pm

And this problem has come back again after it worked fine for a couple of days. Don't know what else to do other than a hard reset and maybe change the video output format to 720p instead of 1080i. It's really weird that video works all the way up until you get into the WMC main menu, and the TV says it's 1080i the whole time until it just goes blank when I hear the WMC main menu song play.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Try replacing the extender's power supply. It may be failing.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks, I tried a different Linksys PS (from an old WRT54GL) with same issue. Tried to do a reset with button (held it in while powering on for 15-20 secs), but it didn't appear to do anything other than keep the box from booting all the way. So I switched to HDMI and did another soft reset which fixed it again, but have a feeling the issue will be back soon. Guess I'm going to be looking for another cheap Xbox Slim.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:52 am

So the problem came back again after about a week, and I got another extender and tried it with same results. Both of my Xboxes worked fine the entire time. My conclusion was that something had been updated on my PC causing the non-Xbox extenders to get no video when WMC is loaded, so I reverted back to a mid-Feb. system restore and all appears to be working again. When the PC gets Windows updates again I'll have to see which update might be causing the problem if it comes back.

littelibo

Post by littelibo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Did you ever figure out which update caused the issue or a solution? A windows update last night knocked out my DMA2100 & 2200 video. I tried to perform a system restore to previous date and both failed (another problem).

anotherother

Post by anotherother » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:18 pm

I have the same issue on a fairly fresh un-tampered-with Windows 7 x64 install - DMA2100 does not display video after it gets past the WMC splash screen. I get audio only, and randomly pushing buttons takes me back to the extender settings menu where video displays but changing the video settings has no effect. (I'm using composite out)

anyone know which update did this? WAF is going through the floor!

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:40 pm

littelibo wrote:Did you ever figure out which update caused the issue or a solution? A windows update last night knocked out my DMA2100 & 2200 video. I tried to perform a system restore to previous date and both failed (another problem).
No, the problem came back within a week so I got rid of the DMA2100. Both of my Xboxes continue to work fine as extenders. Your problem is this one:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=6&t=8212