Linksys DMA2100 - worth the trouble?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
snowphun

HTPC Specs: Show details

Linksys DMA2100 - worth the trouble?

Post by snowphun » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 am

Hi guys, done lots of reading here but looking for some input on an extender: I have an MCE2100 I bought years ago that I've put into service recently as an extender for a Windows 7 WMC. I lost the remote but am pleased to see my Microsoft 1039 remote seems to provide all functionality, including power for the extender. But I am experiencing a few problems: turning the unit off is hit or miss, sometimes it just ignores the command. During use, sometimes the unit freezes up, often when I have paused live TV for ten minutes or more, leaving me to pull the power to reset.

Are these common issues? Would I have much better luck with an xbox 360 S or Echo?

Thanks,
Paul

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:45 am

There is a known issue with the Linksys extenders locking up. It's caused by Cisco turning off the update servers, and the device not handling that well at all. If you set the DNS entry to 0.0.0.0 on the extender than that problem should go away.

Apart from that, I've found that the Linksys works well within its design limitations. It's not as good an extender as the 360, but it has other advantages (noise, power, looks).
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

mrphil

Post by mrphil » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:02 pm

First thing is to set the DNS to 0.0.0.0 as Mark suggests. If it still locks up, replace the PSU. I own several dma2100's and have had to replace the psu on two due to stability issues which appeared a couple of years after purchase.

snowphun

Post by snowphun » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Great info, thank you. I read about the DNS change but didn't connect it to my issues.