Questions regarding WMC

newguyonthestreet

HTPC Specs: Show details

Questions regarding WMC

Post by newguyonthestreet » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:56 am

1) If I am recording a TV show and I change the volume, will the volume change be reflected in the actual recording itself? Or is the volume in the recording constant?

2) Similarly, let's say I get a call in the middle of a show while recording and I mute it. Will the recording also be mute during that time.

3) Do subtitles get saved in the recording?

4) Will WMC wake up my computer from sleep to start recording?

Sorry I am new to all this and this forum was the first result that popped up on google so I am new here. If someone can help me out and give coherent answers that would be great! Thanks and have a nice day!

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:14 am

1) Volume changes only affect playback. The recording will be unaffected.

2) See 1

3) Yes

4) Yes

Welcome!

:wave:
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:47 am

In other words, WMC--just do it.

It really is as easy as buying a modern PC off the shelf for a few hundred dollars, plugging in a tuner, and simply letting WMC do its thing.

There are a couple of details inside of all of that, depending on what you want to accomplish, but overall it really is that simple.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:14 pm

As mentioned above, it is that simple.

Some folks add different software to do different things. But none of that is necessary if you want to record TV & then watch it later.

Since you posted the original message in the Windows 7 Media Center sub-forum I'm presuming that you are going to use Windows 7. AFAIK if you use Windows 8 then you need the Professional version & then have to add on WMC. Obviously the most economical way to go is get Windows 7 to begin with, and some new PCs still come with it.

newguyonthestreet

Post by newguyonthestreet » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Thank you for the answers! Great to see that this is such an active community.

And mark1234 thanks for the welcome :), although I will probably not be an active poster. Just drop in once in a while if I have any more questions.

Oh and one last thing, is the TV guide being downloaded/updated over WiFi or over the airwaves? In other words, does the recording computer need a wireless card/adapter?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:18 pm

newguyonthestreet wrote:is the TV guide being downloaded/updated over WiFi or over the airwaves?
This depends on where in the world you are and what kind of TV signal you use. But the safe answer is to say that the guide data is downloaded from the internet, so the PC will need a wired or wireless connection.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 pm

OP, you didnt mention what you were using to record.

Changing volume, muting, etc inside WMC will not affect a recording at all.

But if you are using a capture device and not a tuner you could potentially mute your set top box's output into WMC.

I doubt that's your plan and specifically what you were asking, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

jlader

Post by jlader » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:14 pm

newguyonthestreet wrote:3) Do subtitles get saved in the recording?
Depends on the capture device. Most do record the subtitles. If you are using a Hauppauge HD-PVR or Collosus, the subtitles do not pass through & are not recorded.
Some say the way to peace is through many arms...