Will this configuration work?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
glenned

HTPC Specs: Show details

Will this configuration work?

Post by glenned » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:58 am

I'm in the process of building a htpc. I want the htpc to be capable of the following:
1.) record multiple (2) shows simultaneously
2.) record tv while watching an hd movie stored on the hard drive
3.) record tv while watching a previously recorded tv show stored on the hard drive

Below is a list of the components:
Case - Silverstone ML03B
Motherboard - MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2
CPU - AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Memory - Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 X 4GB) DDR3-1600
Power Supply - CoolMax 300W Micro ATX
Optical Drive - Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

What do you recommend for a tv tuner that will fit this configuration (compatibility and case form factor)?

Will the configuration described above plus the recommended tv tuner fulfill the capabilities listed above?

I'm trying to keep the costs down (around $400) for an htpc that has the power to fulfill the capabilities listed above and is quiet.

Thanks for your input in advance.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:13 am

What source, cable or antenna?

In any case, check out Hauppauge, Silicon Dust and Ceton web sites for your options. Dual tuner boxes/cards start around $100 new, or half that used. Any of them will meet all your requirements coupled with WMC or similar. Your hardware is plenty.

glenned

Post by glenned » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:38 am

The source is cable (basic cable...no cable box...cable connects directly to the tv or htpc). I'm assuming they've got cards that will fit in the case (4" height). If not, is there a usb tv tuner that will work? How do they rate compared to the internal tv tuners?

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:24 pm

glenned wrote:The source is cable (basic cable...no cable box...cable connects directly to the tv or HTPC). I'm assuming they've got cards that will fit in the case (4" height). If not, is there a usb tv tuner that will work? How do they rate compared to the internal tv tuners?
What market? Brighthouse in Metro Detroit stills sends analog from the headend, but I don't expect that to last. Are you tuning analog or digital channels?

Assuming you're looking for an ATSC tuner yes, Hauppauge makes low-profile cards, such as this http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r2250.html. Ceton makes a 4 tuner CableCard USB unit, and both Ceton and Silicon Dust make network attached tuners. According to their FAQ Ceton's devices require a CableCard to tune clear QAM channels, while the HDHR Dual from Silicon Dust has no such requirement - http://www.silicondust.com/products_new/

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Yep, you can't assume basic cable will keep working in many markets for long as they are phasing out analog everywhere. It would be better to go ahead and transition to a cable card tuner. The Hauppauge DCR-2650 would be a good choice. It's actually made my Silicon Dust.

glenned

Post by glenned » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm in Dallas. The cable provider is Time Warner. I receive both analog and clear digital (unencrypted) channels.

Based on the information you've provided, the logical choices are either the Silicon Dust HDHR Dual, the Hauppauge DCR-2250 and the Hauppauge DCR-2650. If basic cable were to remain, I'd go with the Hauppauge DCR-2250. If basic cable is phased out, I'd go with the Hauppauge DCR-2650 if it doesn't require the CableCARD while basic cable is still available. The Hauppaige web page doesn't say either way. Does anyone on this forum know?

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:16 pm

glenned wrote:I'm in Dallas. The cable provider is Time Warner. I receive both analog and clear digital (unencrypted) channels.

Based on the information you've provided, the logical choices are either the Silicon Dust HDHR Dual, the Hauppauge DCR-2250 and the Hauppauge DCR-2650. If basic cable were to remain, I'd go with the Hauppauge DCR-2250. If basic cable is phased out, I'd go with the Hauppauge DCR-2650 if it doesn't require the CableCARD while basic cable is still available. The Hauppaige web page doesn't say either way. Does anyone on this forum know?
If by "basic cable" you mean analog, it's not a matter of if, but when it will be phased out.

The HDHR Prime is only $5 more (on Newegg) and gives you 1 more tuner than the DCR-2650. I know the HDHR Prime handles clear QAM without a CableCard, and most here on these forums are very happy with theirs (where's that barnabas guy? :lol: )

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:45 pm

glenned wrote:I'm in Dallas. The cable provider is Time Warner. I receive both analog and clear digital (unencrypted) channels.

Be advised, where as TWC Dallas does still have their analog basic cable feed, they have already turned off the clearqam signal. So if you decide to use the ceton or silicondust units and planning on clearqam you won't get it. I just went through this in North Dallas/Collin County. I had a digital tier package and wanted to save money so I switched back to basic thinking that I could get the clearqam channels as well as the analogs. Analogs were there but not the clearqam. Analog signal is very noisy (even more so than before). Ended up having to reactivate cablecard. The cablecard does work with the Standard TV package so you get the same channels that you would on the analog package but they are all digital and you do get the HDs as well (no extra HD fee). For the same price that you'll pay for the crummy analog only channels + $2.99 for cable card you get the same channels in digital SD and HD. Much cheaper than the next digital tier up and has most of the channels that you're gonna want to watch anyway.