Possible Tuning Adapter Problems

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kdurbin82

HTPC Specs: Show details

Possible Tuning Adapter Problems

Post by kdurbin82 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:36 pm

I have been having problems with my setup since I bought my Ceton InfiniTV ETH. Not that it really applies, but here is my setup:
I have four computers that are setup to connect to the ETH and two Ceton echos that connect to my primary HTPC, all up and running for about 7 months and used daily (usually no more than two devices at any one time.)

I have opened countless tickets with Ceton, and they have helped me stabilize my problems, at best. But I must reboot the Ceton very often. I have a whole slew of problems:
SDV 1 pairing errors
Subscription Required errors
Tiling on many channels

While Ceton products are absolutely wonderful, I find their support lacking. With all of the detailed logging they have available, you would think they could definitively isolate the problem. Their best advice has been to see what happens if I change the tuning adapter. I have done this twice, along with the CableCard. The last time I replaced the Tuning Adapter (Cisco STA1520), it stabilized for a month or so, but the problems returned. My RF signal into the Tuning Adapter is right at 0 dB and the signal out of the TA is consistently between -7 and -12 (-8.5 is about normal). This, obviously explains the tiling, but what about the pairing issues between the TA and the Eth? Is my problem really just bad TAs? Bad TA firmware? Is there anything within my control that can fix these issues?
RIP WMC

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Step one, change the coax set-up. Take the inbound drop from the cable company to a two way splitter. Then one cable from the splitter to the tuner and one cable from the splitter to the TA. That help with your signal level. Most of the 1520s I've seen actually have an amp in the splitter in the TA. But remember that the TA doesn't do anything to the cable signal, it just talks to the tuner and to the headend so it doesn't need to be looped through.

As for SDV1 errors, that shouldn't be a paring issue but might be a timing issue with the signal sent to the headend and the return to the TA which then tells the tuner where to tune the channel. There are lots of registers in the TA you can look at to see if you're generating errors. The fact it calmed down for a month leads to me thinking it might be a node issue or traffic issue on your cable system. But the good thing is that the cable company CAN see the TA, they CAN'T see the cableCARD but they can look at the TA's inside diagnostic and error messages. If you're on TWC, call the cableCARD help desk in New York and they can look at the device and see if there is an issue there.

The other concern might be your network as far as pixilation, if it is a result of packet loss or worse yet, router snooping. If you have the tuner and the computer on ports on the router, get a switch and just use a jumper from the router to the switch and connect the tuner and the computer(s) on the switch.

kdurbin82

Post by kdurbin82 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:51 pm

JohnW248 wrote:Step one, change the coax set-up. Take the inbound drop from the cable company to a two way splitter. Then one cable from the splitter to the tuner and one cable from the splitter to the TA. That help with your signal level. Most of the 1520s I've seen actually have an amp in the splitter in the TA. But remember that the TA doesn't do anything to the cable signal, it just talks to the tuner and to the headend so it doesn't need to be looped through.

As for SDV1 errors, that shouldn't be a paring issue but might be a timing issue with the signal sent to the headend and the return to the TA which then tells the tuner where to tune the channel. There are lots of registers in the TA you can look at to see if you're generating errors. The fact it calmed down for a month leads to me thinking it might be a node issue or traffic issue on your cable system. But the good thing is that the cable company CAN see the TA, they CAN'T see the cableCARD but they can look at the TA's inside diagnostic and error messages. If you're on TWC, call the cableCARD help desk in New York and they can look at the device and see if there is an issue there.
I made this change and the signal is now perfect. I still see tiling on some channels, however. It appears to be limiting itself to channels in high end frequencies, but I have not given it enough time to fully test. I do know that my cable service is of very high quality. The distance from my distribution node to the tuner itself is less that 30 yards. That distance includes only two splits. I do have a reasonable number of uncorrected blocks (~400), but my cable company has tested my line no fewer that 4 times, and finally attributed that to the TA itself. The coaxial from the distribution node to my home is buried 18 inches deep and I made them bury it in conduit (a distance of about 15 yards). I do not use TWC. Not that their reputation is great anywhere, but they have a horrible record here. My provider is CCI/SureWest.
JohnW248 wrote:The other concern might be your network as far as pixilation, if it is a result of packet loss or worse yet, router snooping. If you have the tuner and the computer on ports on the router, get a switch and just use a jumper from the router to the switch and connect the tuner and the computer(s) on the switch.
The tiling is not limited to the Echos, but I do have a lot of problems with my Echo. Sometimes it will freeze, reboot by themselves, go black, network quality, etc, etc. I have the latest firmware on them. My LAN is relatively complex, but in short, all devices are behind switches, and not the firewall. I have a full gigabit network, that has been optimized as greatly as possible. The Echos test the LAN off the scale. The tiling also occurs on the HTPC(s).
RIP WMC

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:07 am

I have problems with my Echo as well. Some days a couple of restarts and then everything will work for 3 or 4 days and then again a freeze or freeze and audio lock up, etc. The Echo is just not as tolerant of signal variations or problems as say the Linksys or HP extenders (I don't have a 360 to compare).

As for the remaining problem of pixilation, I'd attack it instages

1. Signal level (You can check signal level in the web gui along with frequency so you can see if the problem occurs at certain frequencies). As you know the signal level isn't flat across the spectrum.

2. Network issues from the tuner to the PC. If you can, start with moving all the tv stuff onto a single switch so only one switch is handling those addresses. Then you can check for packet loss. If you have the same channel on several PCs they will each be on different tuner and that might help pinpoint a problem (if tuner related) as well.

3. Then you can check packet loss from the PC to the extender. There are lots of concurrent transmissions going on here from the tuner to the pc and from the pc to the extender.

Try and get some variables knocked out and it will be easier to analyze.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:27 pm

kdurbin82 wrote: I made this change and the signal is now perfect. I still see tiling on some channels, however. It appears to be limiting itself to channels in high end frequencies, but I have not given it enough time to fully test. I do know that my cable service is of very high quality. The distance from my distribution node to the tuner itself is less that 30 yards. That distance includes only two splits. I do have a reasonable number of uncorrected blocks (~400), but my cable company has tested my line no fewer that 4 times, and finally attributed that to the TA itself. The coaxial from the distribution node to my home is buried 18 inches deep and I made them bury it in conduit (a distance of about 15 yards). I do not use TWC. Not that their reputation is great anywhere, but they have a horrible record here. My provider is CCI/SureWest.
Based on this only being higher frequency channels, this is most likely a signal issue - have you opened a support ticket with us? Most cable techs don't check the full spectrum - they only spot-check a few channels, so it is possible they missed it, or it's some sort of interference.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:51 am

erkotz wrote:Most cable techs don't check the full spectrum - they only spot-check a few channels, so it is possible they missed it, or it's some sort of interference.
Amen!