Random programme names

mrphil

HTPC Specs: Show details

Random programme names

Post by mrphil » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:31 pm

So last night we're watching tv when the recording service seemed to crash, all active recordings ended. After a reboot wmc shows a message "Media center has corrected a problem in your guide data" which turned out to mean "Media center has deleted all your guide data". Blank epg. Hit download listings, go into Recorded TV and what the hell.... many recorded shows now have wrong titles and descriptions!

Apparently the programmes I have recorded include Dallas, Knotts Landing?? Aside from my recorded tv list now making it look like I have very poor taste, on a practical level it makes it incredibly hard to find shows when they have completely random names unrelated to the real name of the recording. For example during the crash we were watching The Hangover part 3, after rebooting it took 10 minutes to find the movie again as it was called Dynasty!

Has anyone else ever seen this, and is there any way to force wmc to retread the metadata from the recordings?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:27 am

Who shot JR?

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:16 pm

mrphil wrote:Has anyone else ever seen this, and is there any way to force WMC to retread the metadata from the recordings?
I am a Vista user, so the following explanation may or may not apply to Win7 Media Center.

Each DVR-MS/WTV file contains within it a full set of metadata. But MC also keeps a copy of the metadata in its data repository, and it uses the metadata from this data repository when displaying panels such as "Recorded TV". I suspect that it uses the metadata from the data repository in order to speed-up display of the various MC panels. On Vista, the data repository is a file called "recordings.xml"; on Win7, the data repository is called something else, but I don't know what.

Your Win7 data repository has almost certainly become corrupt, which it why it is displaying incorrect names for recordings. If you delete your data repository and reboot, WMC will rebuild it from the metadata in the DVR-MS/WTV files. But be aware that you will (I think) lose your recordings history, and probably also your recording schedule. The significance of this is that WMC will record again episodes of a series that you have already recorded, watched, and deleted (because WMC will no longer know that you have already watched and deleted those episodes).

How do you delete your data repository? Deleting the file (or files) is one way. But if you cannot find out which file(s) it is, you could uninstall Media Center, reboot, and then re-install Media Center and go through the setup procedure again. There is a panel somewhere for installing and uninstalling programme features ("Control Panel"?)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mrphil

Post by mrphil » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:34 pm

The solution was db corruption as suggested. Backing up the scheduled recordings then deleting the db and setting up live tv again caused all the recordings to be read and correct names now show in recorded tv.

cs51762

Post by cs51762 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:02 pm

mrphil wrote:The solution was db corruption as suggested. Backing up the scheduled recordings then deleting the db and setting up live tv again caused all the recordings to be read and correct names now show in recorded tv.
mrphil, would you mind giving more details on how you did it, please? File names, locations, etc. Thanks.
Mike Fields