Random failure to record

tch65721

HTPC Specs: Show details

Random failure to record

Post by tch65721 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:16 pm

I have a strange issue. Media Center randomly fails to record shows I have scheduled. As far as I can tell the failures are random. There is no particular tuner, show or channel I can identify as a problem. NBC Evening News records fine one night but not the next. Local news records fine right on the heels of a failed recording of NBC, and using the same tuner. A couple of nights later some other show will fail to record. What is really odd is that WMC logs indicate via event viewer that the show was recorded. WMC displays a little (blue) tile of the show but it won't play, there is no data. When I look on the drive there is indeed a file but it is only 64 Kb.

This is a Win 7 machine built when Win 7 came out. ASUS mobo, i3,2 Gb memory, 1tb WD hard drive, Avermedia and HD Homerun (4 total) tuners. The machine is used exclusively to record and play back OTA television. In other words, it is just a PVR.

I have no idea what to do next. I hope one of you experts will say; "I know exactly what that is. Easy fix!" :mrgreen:

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Maybe check that you do not have erroneous sources per the channels being recorded. Channel line up changes might cause issues along those lines. Also check that your hard drive isn't failing you.

I've never experienced this but that's what I would check first.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 pm

What does recorded TV / View Scheduled / History report?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 am

Install HDSentinel check the health of the hard drive then do a "chkdsk /r C:" to check for bad sectors.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

tch65721

Post by tch65721 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:03 pm

mcewinter wrote:Maybe check that you do not have erroneous sources per the channels being recorded. Channel line up changes might cause issues along those lines. Also check that your hard drive isn't failing you.

I've never experienced this but that's what I would check first.
Nope. No bogus sources.

tch65721

Post by tch65721 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:08 pm

STC wrote:What does recorded TV / View Scheduled / History report?
It reports programs have been recorded that actually have not been recorded. Scandal just last night for example.

Another strange thing that has started... I have the news set to keep the two latest recordings but now I have three. :problem:

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:11 pm

How long have you had this setup? Any changes made lately? How reliable is your TV signal?

tch65721

Post by tch65721 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Scallica wrote:Install HDSentinel check the health of the hard drive then do a "chkdsk /r C:" to check for bad sectors.
The drive is a WDC WD10EADS "green drive" selected to run slow and cool. WD utilities report no problem and HDSentinel calls it "perfect". I can run chkdsk but I'm not sure what that will gain me. I'm fairly convinced of a software error.

tch65721

Post by tch65721 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:23 pm

mcewinter wrote:How long have you had this setup? Any changes made lately? How reliable is your TV signal?
I added a couple of external notebook drives but both are fine. It is currently set to record on one of the external drives but the problem is the same regardless of drive. Setup has not changed from the initial build when Win 7 came out. Most TV signals are very strong, two are just good but in the green.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:30 pm

tch65721 wrote:I have a strange issue. Media Center randomly fails to record shows I have scheduled. As far as I can tell the failures are random. There is no particular tuner, show or channel I can identify as a problem. NBC Evening News records fine one night but not the next. Local news records fine right on the heels of a failed recording of NBC, and using the same tuner. A couple of nights later some other show will fail to record. What is really odd is that WMC logs indicate via event viewer that the show was recorded. WMC displays a little (blue) tile of the show but it won't play, there is no data. When I look on the drive there is indeed a file but it is only 64 Kb.
I know exactly what that is. Easy fix! Use hibernation instead of sleep!

Several months ago I had a problem similar to this (albeit, on Vista). Programmes would randomly fail to record, for no obvious reason. And despite keeping a hand-written log of what failed, I could not spot any pattern in the failures. One characteristic was that the WMC "History" panel would usually show two entries for these failed recordings; one entry claimed that the programme was recorded successfully, while the second entry claimed that the recording failed (but with no useful information as to the cause of the failure).

I never did identify the cause of this, but on a whim I decided to go back to using hibernation instead of sleep, and since then recordings have been 100% reliable (apart from the one MUX which has borderline signal strength at my location, and which becomes unwatchable/unrecordable when the atmospheric conditions are not favourable).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

tch65721

Post by tch65721 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 pm

CyberSimian wrote: I know exactly what that is. Easy fix! Use hibernation instead of sleep!
Sorry, no. Tried it and it didn't work.

However, during all my messing around I discovered this blasted Western Digital "My Passport" does not always come out of sleep or hibernation. It works properly sometimeswhich is what makes it so hard to nail down. I'm not sure what the fix is yet, or if there is one. My Samsung notebook drive works fine all the time. I should have known to avoid Western Digital.

EBH

Post by EBH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:18 pm

I have a similar problem. I schedule a recording and sometimes it will fail to record. Like just now for instance, I had set BBC 1 and BBC 4 to record at 9 pm. A few minutes after 9 I looked at recorded tv and there was nothing recording. I switched to live tv on BBC 1, then stopped live TV a few seconds later and went back to recorded TV. Both channels were now recording.
This has happened several times recently - if I go to live TV a scheduled recording that had failed to start will start. Some recordings work OK, other fail.
I have looked at the event logs and found that the recordings failed due to a "power failure or a system malfunction."
As far as I know, I haven't changed any settings or installed any software other than Windows updates.
I did wonder if using sleep mode had a thing to do with it, so I disabled sleep and left my HTPC running 24/7. This did not help.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks
Ben

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:30 pm

You said that you have WMC recording to an external drive. This may be the problem. Have WMC record to an internal drive, and then have a script set to 'move' the recordings to your external drive.

The reason it starts recording after you start live TV is the Live TV Buffer is also on that drive. When Live TV starts, the Live TV Buffer starts and the drive becomes active again. When it's active again, the recordings can start. This is why we do not record to an external drive.

Search through the forum and you will find several posts on 'moving' recordings to another drive after they have been recorded.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:02 pm

tch65721 wrote:However, during all my messing around I discovered this blasted Western Digital "My Passport" does not always come out of sleep or hibernation. It works properly sometimeswhich is what makes it so hard to nail down.
How is your "My Passport" drive powered? Several years ago I purchased a case for a spare laptop disk that I had, and was surprised to find that it used power from the USB cable to spin the disk. The problem is that one USB cable does not provide enough power for that particular disk. The case came with a "Y" shaped cable, so that it could be plugged simultaneously into two USB sockets, in order to receive enough power. I tried it with the cable plugged into one socket, and although that powers up the electronics (so Windows knows that something is plugged in), the disk does not operate properly.

If your drive is powered via the USB cable, perhaps it is borderline with regard to the power that it receives -- sometimes spinning up, sometimes not. Have you tried running your HTPC with a mains-powered disk?

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:19 pm

EBH wrote:I did wonder if using sleep mode had a thing to do with it, so I disabled sleep and left my HTPC running 24/7. This did not help. Anyone got any suggestions?
I have a recollection that this type of problem can be caused by the relevant entries in the Windows "Scheduled Tasks Manager" (or whatever it is called) becoming corrupt. Normally, the "Scheduled Tasks Manager" uses these entries to decide when to wake the HTPC from sleep or hibernation, and/or what programs to run at particular times (e.g. an overnight backup of recently-changed files, or recording a TV programme).

If this is the problem, the solution is to go to the "Scheduled Tasks Manager" panel (from "Control Panel", I think), and delete all of the entries that relate to Media Center. Then reboot, and restart Media Center (which should then recreate whatever entries it needs in the "Scheduled Tasks Manager").

tch65721

Post by tch65721 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:28 pm

CyberSimian wrote: If your drive is powered via the USB cable, perhaps it is borderline with regard to the power that it receives -- sometimes spinning up, sometimes not. Have you tried running your HTPC with a mains-powered disk?
I thought I made that clear but I guess not. I have one internal WD drive which was full so I added a Toshiba notebook drive (powered by USB cable). So far so good. That started getting full so I added another notebook drive (also USB powered). Bad move. I considered that possibly the Mobo USB 3.x circuit was not up to the task of powering two drives so I moved one to a USB 2.x port. Remember, this system was built when USB 3.0 and Win 7 were new. The Asus Mobo has only 2 USB 3.0 ports, the rest are 2.0. I may well have overwhelmed the system or it could be the drive as you suggest. What I decided to do was move all the recordings from the internal drive to the WD external USB powered drive and record on the internal drive. I'll try that for a few days and see how it works out.