MalwareBytes is running as my extenders

glugglug

HTPC Specs: Show details

MalwareBytes is running as my extenders

Post by glugglug » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:31 am

If I look at running processes in task manager, I can see that in addition to media center related processes, mbamgui.exe (tray icon/UI for MalwareBytes Pro), dwm.exe (desktop windows manager) and ehTray.exe (the system tray icon for media center) are running as each extender. Any way to get rid of this unneeded fluff?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:27 am

Unless you're seeing unwanted behaviour from the processes, I'd leave it alone!

I don't use malwarebytes so I don't know if there's a way to only have it run under certain user accounts.

If it ain't broke........
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:28 pm

My *GUESS* is that there are some sort of auto-start tasks (i.e. scheduled tasks) that cause them to run for each "user" logged into the machine. Remember, an extender is just a special form of remote desktop...other than the malware bytes (and if you remove that completely, it wouldn't run on the desktops) the others are probably necessary to make it work!

but I totally agree that if it ain't broke...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:21 am

As long as those programs don't EVER try to display any kind of Windows GUI for one of the extender sessions... you're OK. If they do... you'll get an error in the extender session, and it will crash.

CappyTan

Post by CappyTan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Bumping this old thread because I just discovered I have the same issue except it's now a real problem.

After a long frustrating couple of weeks, I have recently found that a recent update to MalwareBytes has caused something to happen where this is now an actual problem. My XBOX360 extenders freeze at the WMC home page now if MBAM is enabled. If I disable MBAM, it all works again.

There are some things I don't quite understand -

I have to be logged into the PC as the normal user where MBAM was installed and enabled. If I am not logged in everything is fine.

If I stop the MBAM task on the logged in user, the extenders can log in fine.

MBAM is set to start up with windows, but it doesn't actually set anything in the windows startup folder (I am on 8.1).

Anyone know how I can set it up so that I still have MBAM running on the PC when I am logged in, but it doesn't start when the extenders login?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 pm

If this is due to a recent update, then you need to fix the source of the problem: MBAM. Fiddling around with Windows to try to drive around this will ultimately only cause you MORE problems.

I had a problem awhile back with MBAM: it caused WMC audio to stutter in a weird way. I took me a few weeks to figure it out, but it was a specific update to MBAM that caused this. I reported it in their forum, and shortly after came an update that made the problem disappear.

This kind of thing is going to happen when you move away from a bone stock Windows install, and start adding low-level things like this. This is yet another reason why, when people say they want to use their living room computer for anything and everything including a family DVR, I say that's a bad idea. Let WMC be WMC, all by itself, and do other things on another computer.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:34 pm

It is probably because you enabled malwarebytes for "everyone who uses the computer" Each extender is essentially a user on your PC. When you in the task manager, check the box "show tasks for all users" and you will see your extenders are users.

Either remove malwarebytes, because it is not needed, or limit it only to one user, whoever you log into as the HTPC user.