Lost internet connection

nadspink

HTPC Specs: Show details

Lost internet connection

Post by nadspink » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:58 pm

I recently lost internet connection in media center only. Netflix says no internet and so does guide. any ideas on this

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 pm

@nadspink: Check to see if you can access the Internet in Internet Explorer (not any other browser. Make sure to use IE).

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:16 pm

no internet explorer won't connect

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:45 pm

i have also noticed that some websites won't come up either. in mozilla i am unable to go to netflix. i disabled windows firewall. just found it. peer blocker had updated and changed the settings. i'm an idiot

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:12 pm

What happens if you already had something scheduled using the guide but your internet connection goes down for a day. Will your scheduled programs still record?

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:55 pm

I literally just had this same exact thing happen this week. Except the only page not working was netflix. So netflix on wmc wouldn't work and when trying to load the page the error I was getting was netflix https was not setup correctly on chome and just wouldn't load at all on IE. However another computer on the same network could reach netflix just fine. Out of no where it just went away. It lasted a day and I have absolutely no explanation as to why.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:37 am

OK, so if IE doesn't work either, that's why Media Center can't connect to the Internet. Media Center uses the connection settings from IE.

You need to open IE, press the ALT key on your keyboard, and click the Tools menu. Choose "Internet Options".

Now, go to the "Connections" tab. Click the "LAN settings" button. Un-check "Use a proxy server..." (unless you actually have a proxy server, but this is very unlikely).

Beyond that, I can't give you much guidance. But... the problem definitely lies in the IE connection settings. If the "Use a proxy server" wasn't checked already, you could try clicking the "Setup" button next to the description that says "To set up an Internet connection, click Setup." And then go through the connection setup wizard.

Ultimately, there is a problem with your IE connection setup. Find it and fix it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:40 am

Mike88 wrote:What happens if you already had something scheduled using the guide but your internet connection goes down for a day. Will your scheduled programs still record?
Yes, they will record... unless there is "no data" for the program in the guide. If the guide data was already downloaded for that particular program, it will record even if you don't have Internet access at the time when the program airs.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:20 am

Thank you barnabas1969.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:29 am

FYI... This happened to me again tonight with Netflix. This time on my bedroom htpc. It gives me a no internet connection error like on IE. I try to open Netflix on IE and get the same thing. I try to on chrome and it tells me something is wrong with SSL / https so it can't load the page. No settings have been changed and it was working fine. You can reboot, disable/enable your nic but nothing fixes this. Except of course going to another https website in IE. If you do it in chrome it does nothing. However just go to google .com which uses https in IE and then go to Netflix... Boom it works again. I have no idea what is causing this. It is really bizarre.