I3-530 with IGP strong enough for 6 tuner card + extenders?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
londonfog

HTPC Specs: Show details

I3-530 with IGP strong enough for 6 tuner card + extenders?

Post by londonfog » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi everyone, I'm sorry if similar questions have been asked before, but here's my question.

I'm upgrading my main pc and will have a spare i3-530 chip because of that.

Would that chip and it's integrated graphics plus 8gb of ram be strong enough to run either of the infinitv 6's exclusively feeding extenders (likely xbox 360`s). I'll have an ssd for the Windows7 install and I'll probably also include an Intel NIC because of how Important the NIC seems to be.

The computer itself will not be used to output video.

Thanks in advance for your help!

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:35 pm

How many extenders?

Microsoft's "recommended" hardware requirements per extender is 1 core, 1GB RAM. I have an i3-3220T that I can run 4 extenders off of simultaneously, while the HTPC itself outputs to another TV. Don't have an issue with CPU load so I don't buy their 1 core per extender recommendation, but each extender session did consume enough memory that I increased the amount of RAM in the HTPC from 8 to 16GB.

If you're not going to have the HTPC itself hooked up to a TV then the integrated graphics is really a moot point.

londonfog

Post by londonfog » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Ahhh, ok, I wasn't sure if the gpu was involved with streaming to extenders, but I had a feeling I might have to up the ram.

4 extenders is the max I would expect to run to ensure I have tuners open for dvr capabilities.

NNate

Post by NNate » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:15 pm

I still use an i3-530 with 8gb RAM, 8 cablecard tuners (2x Ceton PCIe cards) for my main HTPC. I have no issues using it for viewing and feeding 1 360 extender while recording 6+ things.