InfiniTV 6 Tuner Network Share and WOL

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Tester

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 6 Tuner Network Share and WOL

Post by Tester » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Are there any solutions to the non-working/non-supported WOL over a bridged connection outside of adding an additional NIC to handle the WOL duties ?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Huh? The tuner doesn't handle WOL, the PC's NIC does. What does that have to do with tuner sharing?

Paw Paw

Post by Paw Paw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Tester wrote:Are there any solutions to the non-working/non-supported WOL over a bridged connection outside of adding an additional NIC to handle the WOL duties ?

I worked on this for a while and finally moved on. I could get another PC to issue a magic packet using wolcmd.exe using the MAC address of the hardware NIC - NOT THE BRIDGE - and this would wake up the bridged unit. However I could not find a way to get the Xbox 360 to do this. It looks like the Xbox just wants to send the magic packet to the MAC of the bridge and this would never wake up the unit for me. Does anyone have any other insight on this?

PS you have to manually grab the MAC address of the hardware NIC before you implement the bridge.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:09 am

Hmmm... I wasn't aware that bridging them causes the perceived MAC address to change from the perspective of the XBox. I don't have a Ceton tuner anymore, and when I had one, I wasn't interested in sharing it. Perhaps the following link can help you? I wonder if it's possible to set the bridge MAC to be the same as the hardware MAC...

http://serverfault.com/questions/345456 ... in-windows

Tester

Post by Tester » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:18 pm

@Paw Paw, I am very surprised you got that to work since it is not supposed to work, I have tried myself and no go. It will work as soon as I take down the bridge and leave the connection as a standard connection.
Can you explain in detail exactly what you did to get this to work ? Simply used the mac id of the existing Nic before it was bridged ? I have tried this and it does not work when bridged.

@barnabas1969, from what I have read and researched WOL is not possible through a bridged connection, which is exactly what the Ceton Tuner requires for a shared tuner, hence my post here on this forum.
On a different topic, how is your pulse8 unit working, have U got it working through Eventghost well enough to share ?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:26 pm

From what I read, the extender sees a different MAC address when you bridge the connections to share the tuner with other PC's. The link I posted seems to indicate that you can configure the MAC address that is used by the bridge. I don't know if it's possible to set that MAC address to equal the hardware MAC of the NIC, but you could try it. If Windows allows you to do that, then the extender would send the WOL packet to the bridged MAC, which would be the same as the hardware MAC. The NIC will respond to the hardware MAC and wake the PC (if the NIC and BIOS is configured for WOL).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Regarding the Pulse-Eight CEC device, yes... it works 100% reliably. I posted my configuration here:
http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtop ... 907#p29561

Tester

Post by Tester » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 pm

@barnabas1969, I do not use an extender, just other client PCs, but I think this info still applies. I will give it a try this weekend when I find some free time and report back.
Also, thanks for the link and all your hard work getting that damn Pulse8 device working with Evenghost, I will give this a try as well.

Paw Paw

Post by Paw Paw » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Tester wrote:@Paw Paw, I am very surprised you got that to work since it is not supposed to work, I have tried myself and no go. It will work as soon as I take down the bridge and leave the connection as a standard connection.
Can you explain in detail exactly what you did to get this to work ? Simply used the mac id of the existing Nic before it was bridged ? I have tried this and it does not work when bridged.

@barnabas1969, from what I have read and researched WOL is not possible through a bridged connection, which is exactly what the Ceton Tuner requires for a shared tuner, hence my post here on this forum.
On a different topic, how is your pulse8 unit working, have U got it working through Eventghost well enough to share ?
I really can not remember alot about how I set this up since it was over a year ago that I was testing it and when it was obvious that the Xbox could not wake up the HTPC that was bridged I gave up on the project. I can tell you my HTPC has an MSI motherboard with a build in Realtech GBE NIC and I had the current Realtech drivers loaded at the time I was working on this.