Ram and cooler issue

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
pd veeps

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ram and cooler issue

Post by pd veeps » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:27 am

IGot my new Scythe cpu fan.
Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler

So I tried to install the cooler yesterday and it won't fit. My gskill ripjaw ram is too tall. The cooler hovers over the 2 slots closest to the cpu.

Here is a pic on my motherboard layout. It's a biostar ta75m mobo.

The slots are labeled a1, a2, b1, b2.....a1 is closest to the cpu. The ram I have will only fit in b1 and b2.
Below is what the manual states for what slots to use.

What happens if I used slots b1 and b2 for the RAM? Will the mobo only read 1 stick?

Does anyone sell a bracket for this cooler to allow it to turn it 90 degrees to mount? I'm just trying to avoid having to return the cooler or buy new ram if I can.

So I tried it and ran some tests using passmark. The only thing that's lower is the 3d graphics mark. All the other marks are the same.

Would my htpc with media browser server be affected if the 3d graphics mark is lower?

Should I run different tests?
Thanks

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:58 am

This kind of thing is pretty common with the huge coolers on memory and CPUs these days. For some of my installs I just take the heatspreader off of the memory. Those things are just for show, really. I actually have two separate G.Skill Rip Jaw 8GB 1600MHz kits in different HTPCs that are running without the headspreaders. You just have to be really gentle and slowly pry them off.

Some CPU coolers can be turned 90 degrees and things get better. It looks like with an Intel board that might happen with this CPU cooler, but the non-square shape of the AMD layout seems to ruin any chances of that on this system.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:58 am

You won't have dual channel memory by sticking them in b1 and b2, but should still read both I believe. You didn't mention how much RAM you had, but the minimum recommended for the Media Browser server is 2 GB and as long as you are above that you should be fine. It could potentially be a little slower I suppose.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Right - you will see both, but they will test slower in benchmarks. You might notice in real world applications, but it should still be good enough for basic media center usage.

pd veeps

Post by pd veeps » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll try it for now and then I'll buy some regular height ram. Maybe upgrade from the 4gb to 8 gb.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:52 pm

So, what are you gonna do if/when your ram needs to be re-seated, or upgraded, in the future? Pull the cooler to seat the ram? Get a different cooler.
Attachments
ANTEC_H2O_620_KUHLER.JPG

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:25 pm

That's nice! Mine is seriously tight.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 am

@ pd veeps,

Looks like Antek doesn't make a model for a low profile case. However, Asetek does. Look into their model 545LC. 92X92X30 mm heat exchanger 3.6" X 3.6" X 1-3/16"

http://asetek.com/desktop/cpu-coolers/545lc.aspx

http://asetek.com/media/1972/570lx_data_sheet.pdf

From the looks of your case you might be able to bolt the heat exchanger to the right -----> of the Ram and CPU in your picture. Or, do you have a place for a 92mm fan?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 pm

The OP is trying to avoid buying a new cooler or RAM. I've never tried doing it, but I like the suggestion of peeling off the heat spreaders. Honestly, RAM with heat spreaders is just a marketing gimmick. Totally unnecessary, unless you're planning to over-clock your RAM.

pd veeps

Post by pd veeps » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:58 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:The OP is trying to avoid buying a new cooler or RAM. I've never tried doing it, but I like the suggestion of peeling off the heat spreaders. Honestly, RAM with heat spreaders is just a marketing gimmick. Totally unnecessary, unless you're planning to over-clock your RAM.

Time to just buy new ram. Ruined one stick by trying to remove the heat spreader. I might as well upgrade to 2 4g sticks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:13 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:The OP is trying to avoid buying a new cooler or RAM. I've never tried doing it, but I like the suggestion of peeling off the heat spreaders. Honestly, RAM with heat spreaders is just a marketing gimmick. Totally unnecessary, unless you're planning to over-clock your RAM.
Yea, I know, but.....If you were a pedestrian standing beside me and we both were waiting for the walk signal, and you started crossing before the light said OK, and I saw that you were going to get run over by a bus, I would try to stop you, whether I knew you or not.

That Scythe cooler is a work of art and it probably has specs to match. In my opinion it just doesn't belong on this board. I'll go back to my original argument.....To re-seat the ram, you have to pull the cooler, to pull the cooler...you have to pull the motherboard. This Scythe cooler has to be installed prior to installing the motherboard because you have to hold the screws on the backside of the motherboard. Check out the Cons in the first 5 reviews at Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185174 Amazon says the same thing http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-SCBSK-2100 ... ewpoints=1

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:31 pm

I have a very similar cooler in my old HTPC (which I'm using for testing now). When I bought it, I read the reviews and the reviews said to be careful not to choose RAM that's too tall. So, I chose RAM without the heat sinks. That PC has been running for 3 years now, and I've never needed to re-seat the RAM or do anything that would require me to remove the cooler.